Dating for Athletes

Amanda McGrew

Amanda McGrew ’09

When you’ve lived the highs and lows, the intensity, and the long-term commitment of collegiate athletics, it gives you something in common with other athletes. That’s the realization that came to Amanda McGrew, whose life has been shaped by basketball. Hoops brought the Santa Monica, Calif., native across the country to Rhode Island, where she played for the Rams from 2005-09.

Now a physical education teacher back on the West Coast, and single, the dual-degree holder—finance and marketing—has started a new venture that ties her worlds together: Playoff Dating App. Available on Facebook, the app aims to connect collegiate and professional athletes all over the world, pairing users based on location, sport, and interests.

“Athletics has always been a huge part of my life, the biggest factor that has shaped all the decisions I make,” McGrew says. “Whether you’re still an athlete or not, dating someone who shares that perspective is invaluable.”

McGrew is teaching PE and coaching basketball full time, and says the app has “completely consumed my life—but my life revolves around sports anyway, so it doesn’t feel out of place when other coaches ask me about it.” So does the online matchmaker have time to date herself? McGrew says she’s just trying to get her business off the ground while “keeping my sanity and quality of life.” There have, however, been personal rewards: Friends have used the app to meet people. “I get excited about creating something that might have a positive impact on people’s lives.”

By Shane Donaldson