When I came to URI as a freshman, all I knew about laundry was: Don’t wash the darks with the whites. But that changed my freshman year, when I took a costume maintenance course as part of my double major in theater management and public relations. I was also a member of the costume maintenance crew for the theater department, helping to triage stains and rips and get costumes ready for the next performance. From makeup to sweat stains, I learned that pretty much any stain will come out if you know what caused the stain and what the fabric is. I feel pretty good that now I’m the go-to laundry expert for my friends.

To get sweat stains out of white clothing: Use a 1-2-1 ratio of dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in enough water to soak (a shallow bucket works well). Once the item has soaked for 30 minutes, wash as usual.

To get stains out of delicate fabric: Use a clean toothbrush to scrub baby shampoo gently into the stain. Rinse with warm water and wash as usual.

To get out stains that have set: Dab the stained area with seltzer water, then use a clean toothbrush to scrub it out. Repeat the process with generous amounts of seltzer, then wash as usual.

To keep track of lost socks: Clip a lingerie bag to the side of a hamper and toss all socks into it. When you’re ready to do laundry, zip it and toss in the wash. No more lost socks!

—Allyson Schiller ’17