Anonymous Alumnus Donates $1 million to Honor Professor

“I taught at URI for 40 years—from 1948 to 1988. When you’re teaching, you never know which students you’re really having an impact on. It was a complete surprise to hear that one of my former students was making such a generous gift in my honor. I am especially pleased that the gift doesn’t just honor me, it helps URI and the electrical engineering program.”–Professor Robert S. Haas

An anonymous donor has provided a $1 million challenge grant to the University that will match gifts of $10,000, $25,000 or $50,000 and above to establish the Robert S. Haas Endowed Professorship in Electrical Engineering.

The gift, which is part of the Making a Difference capital campaign, honors the professor emeritus of electrical engineering who taught at URI from 1948 to 1988.

“When you’re teaching, you never know which students you’re really having an impact on,” said Haas, a resident of Kingston. “It was a complete surprise to hear that one of my former students was making such a generous gift in my honor. I am especially pleased that the gift doesn’t just honor me, it helps URI and the electrical engineering program.”

“Gifts to the Haas Endowed Professorship will help us recruit the best faculty and maintain our commitment to academic excellence and professional preparation—a tradition exemplified by Professor Haas,” said Faye Boudreaux-Bartels, professor and chair of the Department of Electrical, Computer, and Biomedical Engineering.

“I was fortunate to be Professor Haas’ student, and later to be his colleague,” said William Ferrante ’49, professor emeritus of mechanical engineering. “His methodical, precise, and crystal clear classroom presentations showed me how to learn—and how to teach. As a colleague, Bob Haas was a model and mentor to faculty and administrators. He personified integrity, competence, and excellence in teaching. This endowed professorship is a wonderful tribute to an extraordinary and inspiring teacher.”

Originally from Milwaukee, Haas earned degrees from Marquette and Northeastern universities, and taught courses in electrical engineering and ocean engineering. He earned an award for teaching excellence in 1970, was cited for his teaching in Outstanding Educators of America in 1971 and 1974, and won the Western Electric Fund Award for excellence in engineering teaching in 1974. He was elected the University’s first ombudsman in 1972.

The anonymous donor who established the Haas Endowed Professorship is a graduate of the College of Engineering and a long-time supporter of the University who previously made major gifts to the Ryan Center campaign and the Fund for URI.

“We are greatly appreciative of the selfless act by this donor to establish a professorship in honor of Bob Haas, and we hope that many alumni who remember Professor Haas will join in this effort,” said Robert Beagle, vice president for university advancement, who is leading the University’s effort to secure campaign leadership gifts. “The donor has consistently demonstrated an unselfish desire to give in order to make good things happen.”

– By Todd McLeish