Art Mead, URI professor of economics, knows there’s a big difference between what you mean to do and what you actually do. Here’s his advice on how to close the gap:

“For many of us, there are significant differences between our intentions and actions. The weak power of self-interest in decision-making is evident in the near 40 percent of Americans who are obese, or the 40 percent of boomers with no savings as they approach 65. Marketers have known this for a long time; the self-help industry thrives because of it; and government officials design policies around it.

“It turns out we have two brains. One is slow, and is about calculation and deliberative decisions; the other is fast, ruled by emotions, impulses, and gut feelings. We need both, but it is the fast one that tends to get us in the most trouble, making quick decisions that lead to regret.

“Fortunately, there are enough of us who would like to better align our two brains to support a market for apps aimed at helping. Search for ‘apps for self-control’ and ‘commitment devices.’

“At the core of these web-based services is a nudge: an email or text informing you of how many in your neighborhood paid their taxes, or what their average water or electric bills were. The nudge might also be a preprogrammed timer to shut off the websites you find most distracting, or warn you that you’ve exceeded your budget. I have set up commitment devices with my students in which they are charged for every missed deadline, to help them improve their grades.  

“You could also use a human nudge—ask a friend to remind you, or seek out others with similar goals. For me, it is a good friend who nudges me toward healthier eating, and my noontime basketball buddies who get me the needed exercise. You can also make it more difficult to make bad choices: For example, I chose no cable access to sports channels to keep me from turning on a game in moments of weakness.”

In the past, these services were rendered by your mother, and were called ‘nagging.’ Today, you can digitally nudge yourself to better, slow-brained decisions.