Coker earns Senior CLASS All-American honor

Kelly Coker

Rhode Island senior women’s softball player Kelly Coker was named a Senior CLASS (Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School) Second-Team All-American by Premier Sports in May.

One of 10 national finalists for the individual Senior CLASS Award for softball, Coker is the first Ram ever to earn a spot on the team. Four-time All-Southeastern Conference selection Kayla Braud of Alabama was chosen as the Senior CLASS Award receipient.

Players were chosen via a nationwide vote of Division I softball coaches, national softball media and fans. To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence—classroom, community, character and competition.

“It feels great to be able to represent my school and my team in such a positive way,” Coker said. “Throughout this whole process I got to see firsthand how incredible and supportive our Rhody family is, and it feels great to have been a part of it.”

Coker, a recent graduate of URI’s prestigious nursing program, finished her career as one of the most decorated players in program history. She ranks in Rhode Island’s all-time top 10 in hits, home runs, runs batted in, walks, stolen bases, sacrifice hits and runs scored. A two-time Atlantic 10 Academic All-Conference selection, Coker was one of 11 players named to the Capital One COSIDA Academic All-District Team for District I, which covers Division I schools in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.