Contributor Todd McLeish

Todd-McLeish2

Rhode Islander Todd McLeish has been speaking and writing about the environment for more than 20 years, including a stint at URI—and his recent “retirement” has seen him busier than ever, doing things like working as a naturalist guide on luxury cruises. So we were surprised when he told us how David Blaney ’03 caught him off guard during an interview aboard his fishing boat for the story, “Kelp Me,” which McLeish wrote for this issue of QuadAngles:

I naturally asked about his customer base and whether people in Rhode Island would be willing to try a dish containing seaweed. As he talked about the foodie movement here and how everyone is a potential customer, all I could think was, ’Not me.’ I’ve eaten the same meal at my favorite pub every Friday for 26 years.

That’s when Blaney turned to the small refrigerator behind him and pulled out a salad on a china dish. It was quite attractive in green and gold and maroon, and I could smell the oil and vinegar. But I didn’t want to eat it. So I continued our interview, asking questions and typing into my laptop.

Eventually, I could think of only one more question. ‘You’re wondering when I’m going to eat that salad, right?’

‘Yup.’

I poked at the green sea lettuce, which he said was the entry level seaweed. It wasn’t bad. With the dressing, it was actually pretty good.

The next was crunchier but not difficult to get down. I struggled mightily with the third, however. I think I was picking pieces of it from my teeth as I drove away from the marina.

It wasn’t the first time I was forced to eat something challenging during an interview. While in northern Greenland to learn about the role of Arctic whales in the culture of the Inuit natives, I was offered a piece of muk-tuk—raw whale blubber—as part of a celebration following a successful narwhal hunt. I smiled and said yes, of course, since my health and safety during my week in Greenland was entirely dependent on the graciousness of the hunters.

By comparison, David Blaney’s seaweed salad was scrumptious. But let’s just say that I’m still far from what anyone would call a foodie.

“For more on McLeish, who has published books on humpbacks, narwhals, and imperiled New England wildlife, visit toddmcleish.com.