Chad Straight

URI Student Profile

profile_chadHello,

My name is Chad Straight and I am from Narragansett, Rhode Island. As a high school student, I developed a particular interest in exercise and the role of physical activity in maintaining health and fitness. Because of this, I declared myself a Kinesiology major and began studying everything about exercise!

The general public is aware that regular physical activity has a fundamental role in improving our physical fitness and reducing our risk for many chronic diseases. However, students in the field of Kinesiology, which is the study of human movement, are able to develop a much more comprehensive understanding on the effects of exercise. For instance, what are the underlying physiological changes that occur in response to different types of exercise? Why are some people able to run a marathon while others have difficulty running one mile? Why do people who don’t regularly exercise have a higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and cancer? The Department of Kinesiology at URI provides students with an excellent opportunity to develop a strong overall understanding of Kinesiology. Students will learn the answers to the above questions, become skilled at designing exercise prescriptions for different populations, and understand the physiological changes that arise from exercise. As an undergraduate student, I even had the opportunity to become involved in a research study on the effects of strength training and dietary changes for older adults!

In 2009, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Science. Because I had a tremendous experience as an undergraduate student at URI, I entered their graduate program in Kinesiology and recently completed a Master of Science degree in 2011. In the fall of 2011, I began a PhD program in Exercise Physiology at the University of Georgia, and it all started as an undergraduate in Kingston, Rhode Island at URI!