James Masse – Program Intern, Spring 2018

James Masse is a Junior at URI, majoring in Environmental Science and Management and  pursuing a Masters Certificate in Hydrology. He is from West Boylston, Massachusetts. Before coming to work for us, James spent his January term in Indonesia studying Hydrology, Geology, and Biodiversity with Dr. Tom Boving, Dr. Nancy Karraker and several other students. James is an intern in the Cooperative Extension Water Quality Program during the 2018 spring semester. He is providing outreach to Rhode Island private well owners.  James is also part of Habitat for Humanity, Student Alumni Association, and the Outing Club here at the University.

We asked him to tell us about himself and what inspires his work.

Why did you want to work with the URI Cooperative Extension Water Quality Program?

Ensuring clean drinking water to the public is a personal goal of mine. I knew the Water Quality Program was a great opportunity to educate the public about their drinking water. I hope I can do my part in helping the citizens of Rhode Island ensure that their drinking water is clean and safe.

What is your favorite part of working here so far?

I enjoy making maps to accompany the data we accumulate from our workshops and farmers markets. It is always fun creating something new and useful from the skills you learn in class. I also enjoy working as part of a team that is so dedicated to the same issues that interest me.

Anything else we should know about you?

I enjoy learning about sustainable technology, along with my knowledge of water quality I hope to create something innovative one day. I’m also a big baseball fan, Go Red Sox!