Graduate Student Spotlight: Melissa Rothstein

Melissa Rothstein, Graduate Student in the Department of Psychology (Behavioral Science; College of Health Sciences), is ATL’s May 2024 Graduate Student Spotlight.

What course(s) do you or have you taught at URI? 
From 2021-2023, I taught the lab for a PSY 200: Quantitative Methods in Psychology course. This year, I have been honored to be the instructor for a PSY 435: Applied Methods in Psychological Research course. Additionally, I have had the opportunity to teach the URI 101: Planning for Academic Success course.

What is your proudest teaching moment?
Throughout the semester, students actively participate in the collection, cleaning, and analysis of empirical data. The culmination of their endeavors results in a written manuscript, which they present orally at the end of the semester. Witnessing students articulate their research journeys in these presentations is profoundly rewarding for me and fills me with joy. It is such a gratifying experience to witness their passion shine through as they discuss their projects and showcase the depth of their accomplishments.

What are the three qualities that you think make for a great teacher?

• Patience: Teaching can be challenging. Patience allows for a calm and supportive environment in order to provide individualized attention and guidance to each student. It also fosters a positive learning environment where students feel comfortable asking questions and making mistakes, which is essential for their growth.
  • Passion: An instructor who is genuinely enthusiastic about their subject matter inspires curiosity and engagement in their students. This enthusiasm ignites a love for learning in students and may inspire students to share in that passion.
  • Adaptability: No two students are alike, and what works for one may not work for another. An adaptable instructor recognizes this and tailors their teaching methods to meet the diverse needs of their students. Whether it’s adjusting the pace of instruction, modifying lectures, or incorporating different teaching strategies, adaptability ensures that all students have the opportunity to succeed.

What do you hope students look back on in ten years and say about your
classes?

In a decade, I hope my students look back on their days in PSY 435 with a smile and remember a dynamic learning experience. Since our classes are only 15-20 students, I had the opportunity to create interactive learning activities (e.g., curating research ideas, psychometrics) that align with the diverse interests of my students. I hope they look back and remember how I served not just as their instructor, but also as a mentor. From offering insights on graduate school to highlighting career opportunities in psychology, and even facilitating research opportunities on campus, I strive to empower my students to pursue their passions and aspirations in the field of psychology. Above all, I hope they remember that research is not just a requirement but an adventure.

How do you envision incorporating teaching into your future career?
Teaching and research fuel my professional drive. My research centers on investigating the precursors and consequences of substance use, particularly among young adults. My ultimate objective is to secure a tenure-track faculty position, which would allow me to synergistically engage in teaching and research. I am particularly excited about developing and instructing courses encompassing substance use, research methodologies, and statistics.

What is your favorite place to visit in Rhode Island? Why?
As a Newport resident, it’s probably no surprise that I have a strong attachment to the beach. I find immense joy in playing games with my friends on the beach such as volleyball, Spikeball, and Pro Kadima.

What do you like to do for fun?
I find solace in hot yoga. It’s my go-to for realigning and centering myself amidst the whirlwind of graduate school. I also enjoy playing board games with friends and traveling when I can! Amidst the demands of academic life, prioritizing personal time is essential, and indulging in these activities during my free moments brings me immense joy and balance.