How to Get Started
Work with a partner or two through the process to gather different perspectives and challenge assumptions. Reach out to Outcomes Assessment staff with questions (email@example.com).
- Ask: What are the most important things a student should know, be able to do or demonstrate after completing my program/course/learning?
- Draft: Identify 3-7 core domains to focus on. Write each them as SLO statements action verbs and measurable evidence.
- Edit and review: Consider the following questions:
- Can it be observed?
- Can it be measured?
- Is learning being demonstrated? (rather than satisfaction, process, personal goal or attitude)
- Publish: For program-level outcomes, post the program outcomes to the department website and provide Outcomes Assessment (e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org) with a link. For course-level outcomes, include on your syllabus and/or Brightspace site. The relationship between course and programmatic outcomes are described in a curriculum map.