College of Business Administration

Ballentine Hall, 7 Lippitt Road, Kingston, RI 02881

admitcba@etal.uri.edu401.874.2337

URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Kelechi Agwunobi ’16

Kelechi Agwunobi

Hometown: Smithfield, R.I.

Major: Accounting

Why did you choose this degree program?

I chose to pursue an accounting degree because it is a high demand career. Relatives of mine who work in corporate America also influenced my decision to become an accountant. Lastly, having a solid accounting background is useful in every type of business.

What has been the best part of your studies in the College of Business?

The opportunity to connect with faculty, professionals, and students in accounting is one of the best aspects. The faculty is very supportive, working with URI business organizations that help students develop professionally and network with top-tier companies.

What has been the best part of your entire URI experience?

The best part of my URI experience was representing URI’s College of Business in back-to-back case study competitions against top business schools throughout New England and coming in first place both times. I was able to leave my mark at URI from these accomplishments.

What do you consider the biggest strengths of your major or program?

Accountants are in high demand. In every business, whether it is a local convenience store, hospital, or a Fortune 500 company, accountants are needed to audit financials and provide financial advice.

What kind of internships, experiential learning opportunities, or real-life experiences have you had?

I have interned at PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Rhode Island Office of Management and Budget. My previous internships gave me experience in working for a global company and a government agency. Through both internships I was able to network with individuals throughout the company and also understand how important the role of an accountant is to a firm.

What has surprised you most about URI?

The large array of organizations students can join was very eye-opening. There are organizations for all interests—both academic and social. In my opinion, this is great because it creates an environment where students of similar interest can develop and chase the same goal.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top