MSF Admission Requirements
An undergraduate GPA of approximately 3.0 or above and a score at the 70th percentile or above on the GMAT examination are expected. The GMAT score and the undergraduate grade point average are not the sole criteria for admission. However, those with undergraduate grade point averages of less than 3.0 or with lower than 70th percentile scores on the GMAT have a reduced probability of admission. The GRE may be used in lieu of the GMAT at the discretion of the director of graduate studies.
To apply, complete the online application at the URI Graduate Admissions website. You can complete the statement of purpose, address information, pay the application fee, and ask your referees to submit their letters of recommendation online. You will be asked to upload your transcripts, however all official transcripts and the Rhode Island residency form (if requesting in-state or regional residency) must be sent as hard copies to the URI Graduate Admissions Office, Quinn Hall, 55 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI 02881.
The application includes submission of the following items:
- Brief statement of purpose (online)
- $65 non-refundable application fee
- Two letters of recommendation (online entering name/email addresses)
- Official college transcript(s) (upload)
- Official score report for the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT or GRE) taken within the last five years. Test scores are not required for candidates with a PhD, PharmD, JD, or MD. Please note: Prospective students should take the GMAT or GRE at least two weeks prior to the application deadline. Both are computerized tests, offered across the world. The GMAT, in Rhode Island, is offered at Pearson Professional Centers in Warwick. The GRE is offered in Rhode Island at Prometric Test Center in Warwick. The code for the College of Business is #5955.
- Residency Application or Certificate of Residency for in-state or qualified regional students. Applicants who have lived in Rhode Island for one year, as well as all veterans, are considered in-state residents. See the Rhode Island and Regional Residency Information/Forms on the Graduate Forms website.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (taken within the last two years) are required for all international students who completed their bachelor’s degree from a non-English speaking foreign University. A minimum score of 80 for TOEFL under the new IBT-Internet Based Test or 575 under the paper-based testing, and minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS is required. The URI Designated Institution Code for TOEFL is 3919.
GMAT Fee Waiver Award
The URI College of Business Administration, through the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), offers 10 GMAT fee waiver scholarships a year for applicants applying to the One-Year MBA, Evening MBA, MS Accounting programs or MS Finance programs. The waiver code will allow you to take the GMAT for free. Criteria for awarding a GMAT Fee Waiver:
- Applicants must have completed the MBA/MSA/MSF application (other than the GMAT score)
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Completion of the GMAT Fee Waiver Award Form, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Tuition and Fees
See complete information about URI tuition and fees.
If you have questions about the Master of Science in Finance program at the University of Rhode Island, please contact MSF Program Coordinator Michael Ice at email@example.com.