COVID-19 testing requirements for students spring 2021

Following guidance from the Rhode Island Department of Health, all students who have not tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 90 days, must be tested every other week for the entire semester starting Feb. 1. There is no charge for these tests.

To accomplish this, all students (undergraduate and graduate) need to register for their bi-weekly testing block in e-Campus by following these steps:

Step 1: Log in to e-Campus and go to register for classes for Spring ‘21 (in e-Campus, center of the page, Self Service, Student Center, MyAcademics, then Enroll).

Step 2: Under class search, select undergraduate (even if you are a graduate student), select COVID19 for the subject and hit search (see below). You will note that various sections/options come up.

Step 3: Think about your weekly schedule and what day of the week, and morning or afternoon, will be best for you to get tested on a regular basis (every other week). First, find an open section with the preferred day of the week in the “Days & Times” description and then find the preferred time block (8 a.m. to noon or noon to 4 p.m.) listed in the “Room” description. You may get tested anytime on this day at the Memorial Union during this time block. Please ignore the 6:50-7 a.m. time displayed in the “Days & Times” column, this is used to display your test dates in your weekly class schedule.

To register for Providence testing, look for COVID19 sections 200 and 201, or add the additional selection of “URI Providence Shepard Campus” under Campus. The Providence testing day will be Wednesday and testing time from 1 to 4 p.m.

Because you are testing every other week, you will see the specific dates to test in e-Campus, in your weekly schedule. Feel free to add these dates to your phone or calendar management system if you prefer to use a time management system other than e-Campus.

Step 4: Register for your testing section as you would a normal class, which will complete the testing schedule process. You will see this on your schedule of classes. It will appear on the bottom of your weekly schedule on the days you are being tested to serve as a reminder.

Again, you may get tested anytime between 8 a.m. and noon or noon to 4 p.m. on the days you have chosen.

Common Questions

I have a hold on my account and am unable to register for testing, what do I do?

While we ask all students to clear all holds, we recognize testing is required. If you have a hold with Enrollment Services, please complete the Inability to Register for Class Slot form and a staff member in Enrollment Services will register you.

If you have a Health Services hold on your account, please call Health Services at 401.874.2246.

What if I have a conflict that developed with the day/time block when I am supposed to get tested?

You are asked to get tested during the day and time you select for the semester. However, if a conflict arises, you may test any other time during that same week, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., in the Memorial Union Atrium.

What time do I show up for my test?

You may show up anytime during your chosen time block (8 a.m. to noon or noon to 4 p.m.).

What do I need to bring with me to the test site?

You should bring your URI identification card or your driver’s license and proof of your URI affiliation to the test site.

How do I know what days of the week I will be testing?

You actually will choose the day when you register for your COVID-19 testing “class.” Your assigned dates (every other week) will be in e-Campus. Please add these dates to your phone or calendar management system.

Do I really have to get tested every other week?

Yes, testing is monitored, and we are required to provide daily reports to the Rhode Island Department of Health. We can accomplish this if we all work together and do our part! Students who do not test will be referred to the Dean of Students, Office of Community Standards, and may face sanctions.

What if I do not come to campus for classes? Do I still have to get tested?

All students living in Rhode Island or commuting to Rhode Island to take classes are required to get tested. If you live in Rhode Island and have all remote classes, you are still required to be tested. Testing is free and you may select a day/time in e-Campus in Kingston or select the test date on Wednesday in Providence. If you live out of state and take only online classes, you will be exempt from testing; however, you must complete the online testing exemption form.

I cannot figure out how to register for this class. Who can help me?

Please call Enrollment Services at 401.874.9500.

I am exempt from testing, how do I notify you of this?

Students must apply for an exemption through Health Services. To submit your exemption request for COVID-19 testing, please complete the testing exemption form. If your request is not approved, you will be notified by Health Services.

I have already received two COVID-19 vaccinations, do I still need to participate in the bi-weekly mandatory surveillance testing?

Yes, even though you have received the COVID-19 vaccination, URI will continue to require all students to participate in surveillance testing at this time.

I cannot come to Kingston, is Providence testing available?

Providence testing is available at our Feinstein College for Education and Professional Studies Shepard Building, 80 Washington St. To register for Providence testing, please follow the directions above. Look for COVID19 sections 200 and 201, or add the additional selection of “URI Providence Shepard Campus” under Campus. The Providence testing day will be Wednesday from 1 to 4 p.m.

Important Reminder:

All students, both on and off campus are expected to get tested prior to move-in or return to the community. Please upload your results in the patient portal. The testing center schedule is available online, or accessed on the Rhody Connect app by tapping Health Services.

Please remember you must adhere to all of the health and safety guidelines while participating in surveillance testing. This includes having completed your daily health assessment prior to visiting the testing center, wearing a mask and adhering to the physical distancing requirements.