Exec 9-26-17

MEETING START TIME: 6:30 PM

ATTENDANCE:

Committee: President BUCK, Vice President DONNELLY, Treasurer PERCY, Chief Information Officer TAYLOR, Director of Communications WILDING, Finance Committee Chairwoman KING, SOARC Interim Chairman CORDOVA, Academic Committee Chairman TEMPLE, Campus Affairs Committee Chairwoman TATE, Cultural Affairs Committee Chairwoman ST. AMAND, External Affairs Committee Chairman BERTEL

Absent: None

Non-Committee: Senator Bailey, Senator Howard

COMMITTEE DISCUSSION:

• President
    • I am interested in creating a Tobacco Free Campus. I have been attending meetings to see how viable it is.
    • VP Collins and Mr. Thorr Bjorn will be meeting with us to discuss potential Mead Stadium renovations.
  • Vice President
    • In terms of attendance, please make sure that your committee members are attending.
    • In terms of minutes, for any vice-chairs, make sure they are sending you the minutes on time.
    • I am sending around a One-on-One sign-up sheet during the next General Senate meeting.
    • The Scholarship Committee is going to get started. I am opening the Committee in the beginning of October.
    • The Senate retreat will be on the 29th of October.
  • Treasurer
    • I have purchased Office supplies and plan on purchasing supplies more often.
  • Chief Information Officer
    • As I am sure you are aware, I have begun talking about motions and parliamentary procedure at Public Forum. What I say on the floor is pre-recorded on paper so that it can be uploaded to our websites on the Minutes for all to see.
    • I have serious concerns, as I am sure all of us do, about Sexual Assault on Campus. I would like us to investigate how we can better educate ourselves.
    • We could ask the Women’s Center to educate us at our retreat.
  • Directors of Communications:
    • Regarding a Snap Chat filer, should we bother to make another for the elections? Aiden and I have been working on it.
    • I have been collaborating with others to make new flyers for Welcome Day.
    • The Cigar’s Senate reports have been consistently good.
    • Elections are tomorrow.
    • We are going to use Instagram stories instead of creating a filter.
    • Recruitment went well.
  • Finance Committee
    • There is a bill on the floor for Capital Improvement. We will vote on it next week. It is for Fencing. They experienced a large jump in membership and now need a new box to help make their meeting safer and more efficient.
    • I am glad the Finance Handbook passed.
  • SOARC
    • I will be moving three Recognition bills into the SOARC report tomorrow at the General Senate meeting.
  • Academic Affairs Committee
    • OER Collaboration is approaching. Professors will be able to provide testimony for this.
    • Regarding Indigenous Peoples Day, I am having a meeting with Mark Connelly.
    • Interdisciplinary majors are something the Committee is exploring.
    • OMBUD Investigations, one was sent recently.
    • For the NEASC visit, the 22nd and 23rd of October are the days they want students, preferably Senators, to give tours. They will be here from the 22nd to the 25th.
  • Campus Affairs Committee
    • The Annual Crime and Fire statistics report is coming out soon.
    • Hurricane Relief fund going on tomorrow from 2 PM – 3:30 PM.
    • I have begun planning the safety and lighting walk for October.
  • Cultural Affairs Committee
    • I had a meeting with the new director of the MSSC. They are working with a lot with student groups and are apparently fond of co-sponsoring. They want us to help do different events with certain themes every month as opposed to one week set aside to celebrate diversity. October’s theme will be on what privilege is. This event will be held October 16th at 5:00 PM. November is Disability Awareness month. We thought about an accessibility challenge. This challenge will consist of asking participants to enter buildings while maintaining an artificial disability. They will share which buildings they thought were accessible and the Committee will send a letter to Disabilities Services and others detailing the thoughts of participating students.
    • Ace of cakes is coming.
    • Last February, Senate passed an opinion bill to partner the counselling center with greater resources. The Center did not follow through. We are having a meeting to take further steps.
  • External Affairs Committee
    • Clean up is approaching on the 7th of October. A sign-up sheet and car pool sheet are complete and will be sent around at the next General meeting. The flyer is also complete and is colorful.
    • Rhody Outpost is starting soon. The Committee will send out more information on that soon. It starts on October 28th. Please encourage people to go.
    • Commuter Appreciation Day is a possibility. We will be redesigning the magnets to hand out at that event.
    • There will be an information booth for voter registration.
  • New Business
    • The Bylaws Committee will be meeting Fridays at 6:00 PM with Senator Howard as the Speaker of it.
    • Their first bill will be on Article 2 and Power and Scope this week.
    • Elections will take place tomorrow and Thursday from 9 AM – 5 PM. Booth 1 will be used strictly as an advertisement booth.

MEETING ADJOURNMENT TIME: 8:08 PM