Executive 11-12-2013

7:12

Attendance: Weinreich, Kilduff, Kempler, St. Jean, Zawatsky, Rode, Sim, Stuart, Sit

DOC

Kempler: I’ll do the board soon outside the senate office

CIO

St. Jean: No report

Academic

Zawatsky: No report

Campus

Rode: Campus clean-up is happening, please come. I have a flyer that I’m going to send out. There’s trash on campus, but not a lot. I’m worried we’ll have too many people for the amount of trash. We’ll break into different groups to clean different areas. We’ll meet on the quad at 11 and end at 2. I don’t think it’ll take too long. A lot of people are interested in getting community service hours. Try to get people to come. I’m talking to Paul and I’ll send an email tonight about the survey for arming campus police.

Kilduff: I think something that needs to be discussed is that regardless of police being armed, training needs to improve no matter what. CIO St. Jean, please find more information about arming campus police and racial profiling.

Rode: It’s important that we spread the survey, so I’ll send that tonight. I’ll bring it up on the floor tomorrow and a lot of it will be manual but it needs to get done even though it will be a lot of work. I’m looking into installing sheltered bike racks on campus. Right now I’m trying to find good locations for them because I’m not too knowledgeable about it. I think it’d be a good idea because more people would start to use their bikes.

Sit: We could also get funding from the university, so we should maybe have an opinion bill about bike friendliness.

Rode: I just need help with arming campus police

Cultural

Sim: Ace of cakes needs promoting and Chris is working on scholarships

Finance

Sit: I will email everyone about change logs for the handbooks and we’ll review stipends for groups next week. This week we worked on the finance handbook. We also want the review of stipends to be at the beginning of the year to prevent overspending of the money. This way they have a limit and we have oversight. In the future I do want to move it so that the groups that require stipends can be in a different category that way it’s more limited and we can have some control. I would like to try to restrict the amount that stipends are done. Also, ski and snowboard team is asking for a budget; they’re asking for about 28000 dollars and we’ll most likely fund half of that. We’ll figure that out; it’s preliminary. We usually fund budgets through general

contingency and that’s overdrawn so I talked with committee and we’ll review it and move some money around by the end of the year.

St. Jean: Brian Sit, you’re fantastic.

SOARC Weinreich: There are groups trying to set up meetings with me. I set up meetings with BOND and PINK. They’re interested in being affiliates. It’s getting to the point where they’re running out of time.

Kilduff: It needs to be pushed a little more, but they seem to be looking at it as a choice, but to be honest it isn’t. They need to do it or they don’t exist. That needs to be pushed a little bit more.

Weinreich: Another factor is that people don’t understand affiliates can’t talk to groups about it. Groups come and talk to me about getting bigger budgets through affiliate status, and that can’t happen. I think part of it is people in senate don’t understand it. I’m also handling groups that were not re-recognized. I wouldn’t mind having a probationary period in the future.

Sit: One thing about moving re-rec to a time after October 31, such as November 15, it would make it so you have two President’s Meetings before re-recognition.

Kilduff: You should push it back to November, but then you are much stricter with it. I think groups should be held to a higher standard as far as this is concerned. That extra meeting would be nice. I know that’s way down the road, but it’s good for the future.

Rode: You’ll still have groups that don’t go through re-recognition, regardless.

Weinreich: Events advising and scheduling are being much stricter right now, so that’s something to pay attention to.

Sim: Which groups should be affiliates and should contact you?

Weinreich: Bruce and I put a list together of about 15 groups but we haven’t been in contact with them. A big thing that is going to be a factor is outside accounts. I want to know what you guys think about outside accounts.

Sit: We discourage outside accounts and they really don’t have much of a reason to have one when they become affiliates.

Weinreich: They’re super committed to keeping their outside accounts. I feel as though we should look for some middle ground. Their loss of outside accounts is something they’re not willing to lose because it’s too much of a loss. Outside accounts work in a way that says they have an account for the use of their finances. They needed that when they couldn’t be recognized. It’s not managed through our accounting system. When they become affiliates they need a student senate account through Cheryl which is where the senate money will flow through and all of their cashbox money will flow through. They need to go through the paperwork. Our money would never go into their outside account. There is a process they would have to go through with the money they get through outside ways in order to get it into their account that is an account that we control. It is easy to avoid the senate process, but if they’re putting money into an outside account, the association holding that money is responsible. As an affiliate, we would also be responsible for what they spend that money. By having an outside account, they’re collecting official money for the group and putting it into an account that we have no oversight of. The benefit is that they can make large processes last minute. We’re doing a service for them, but we’re also responsible for official things that they do.

Kilduff: Liability is a big issue this year, and this falls under that category.

Rode: It seems like a culture change so I understand apprehension

Kilduff: We just have a lot of risk and we need to make sure we’re safe even if it inconveniences them. We can help explain it, and we can be nice about it, but this is really something we have to do.

Sit: Nothing has been finalized yet, and there are things to work out.

Kilduff: The university and us cannot be liable.

Weinreich: Liability aside, they’re worried about regulation and control.

Rode: Maybe it’s a better idea if we have Bruce go in and say it because it’s a little bit more assuring to have a faculty member say that they need to be affiliates without outside accounts. They have access to contingency money but it’s just under our guidance.

Weinreich: Make sure there is stuff in there about respecting SOARC’s recommendation in the finance handbook.

Sit: Recommendation is helpful to us but a lot of things we already know but it would be useful to get a recommendation of SOARC to get a stipend at all.

President

Kilduff: We’re doing a lot with rights and responsibilities and we’ll see that coming in the future. Besides that, there’s nothing too much. Officially on the committee is myself, Kyle Weinreich, Tyler Pavlik, and Joe Maynard

Weinreich: We need to work on goal setting as a committee.