Executive 9-18-2013

Attendance: Solomon, Weinreich, Sim, Lanoie, Zawatsky, Stuart, Rode, Kilduff, Cicero

Cultural report:

Solomon: We’re still figuring out the details of safe-zone training, but it will be after the low ropes course. I talked to Bruce, Kim and Melissa about how we can do a six week course for multiple dimensions of diversity. It seems like a pretty cool course. All we’d really have to do is take their curriculum and we can get the course going. Naomi’s intent is to get it going by the spring. I was wondering if I could get an opinion on it.

Weinreich: What does it have to do with senate?

Solomon: We’re pretty much endorsing it. I’m going to hammer out the details. SO far Bruce and Kim are all over it

Weinreich: I’d like to see some more details

Treasurer

Sim: Stipends should be out next week

Lanoie: I did a lot this week. I’m gonna be pretty short. First things first, I need Pitu’s signature for an order form. I got 7400 dollars in contingency for the carnival. I originally asked for 10,435. We got rid of some stuff and I added in a henna tattoo station. Pillow pets got taken off but that’s ok. I registered my event with the SEA and that’s pretty much it. I need to get in contact with a guy named Steve Simo

Kilduff: His office is in the Christopher house, there’s a big table, and to the left is his office.

Lanoie: Okay because he has the money from Katrina. He said he’d meet me Wednesday the 25th but I wanted to see him sooner.

Kilduff: He goes to IFC meetings on Monday at 6

Weinreich: Where do you stand on a liaison for the Narragansett town council?

Lanoie: I don’t think my committee wants to do that, and I forgot to do that last week, and I’m trying to get on top of that. I do want to go, however.

Rode: I’ve been doing a lot. I talked to Steve Mellow about dining services and if you want to know more about that, just ask me. Everything he was talking about was hypothetical but I think everyone who’s on work study has to be relocated.

SOARC Chair

Weinreich: Read my bill, make sure you ask me questions before it hits the floor soon. If anyone has questions for me now, ask me.

Cicero: Has anyone talked to you about the bill?

Weinreich: A bunch of soon-to-be senators did. In addition to that I gave it to past-SOARC chair Erica Pishdadian and she loved it. The re-rec documents go live on Monday the 23. Somehow groups have already started submitting them but I don’t know how. They’re coming through just fine and I’ll be testing them all week to make sure they’re going well. That’s all I have for now unless anyone else wants anything

President

Kilduff: MCC liason?

Solomon: Yes

Kilduff: Major Baker Committee?

Rode: We’re going to go whenever we can but we’re not going to have a say

Weinreich: Speak to Dugan, and you can get a release from class

Rode: It’s Thursday and Friday 9-3. And I think in room 314.

Kilduff: RIC needs structure right now because they’ll be coming to our meetings. That’ll happen soon.

Cicero: Commencement committee? It’s basically they want two representatives a junior and a senior.

Kilduff: We’ll put that on the floor tonight

Cicero: They want the junior to carry over to the senior next year.

Kilduff: Is anyone interested in doing the Brown newspaper article on debt? She says she wants instate students who have a substantial amount of doubt

Academic Chair

Zawatsky: My committee meeting got cut somewhat short. Apparently my committee wasn’t put down with having a meeting time because we had to be out of there by 6. Pitu I need to know if we can afford 35 more daily copies of USA Today for Hope Dining Hall. I need to see if we can change the contract to see if we can afford that but we can talk about that later. I was working with Kim kind of briefly to change the academic complaint submission system. Most of my complaints are still coming in through the old website which is delayed so we need to make the new website more popular. Matt, Me and Lanoie got an email from some consumer protection group that are trying to get rid of the HigherOne account.

Lanoie: And trying to raise awareness about it and the fees.

Zawatsky: I don’t think we could find out whose jurisdiction it was under.

Rode: apparently people have been complaining about this and we should take care of this with financial aid because this is a big problem

Kilduff: President Dooley is coming in a week or two, so we’ll have to talk to him about this

Rode: I think HigherOne is using people, so the university needs to be more clear about this

Kilduff: As far as the Cigar goes, a few weeks ago the Cigar put out an article about a sorority and quoted a lot of people in it and the quotes essentially were violating rules for girls and they got fined for it. The girls claim that the Cigar did not tell them that they were the Cigar. Whether or not that’s true, I don’t know. We need to keep an eye out for that.

Zawatsky: isn’t there seriously legal issues with this.

Kilduff: It is and that’s why I am really interested in this

Weinreich: They don’t actually have to tell you that they’re a reporter; they just can’t say that they’re not a reporter. I’m not saying that they’re doing good investigative journalism. If you’re concerned about it, speak with the senate lawyer. If the Cigar is doing something wrong, we should sit down with them and Bruce and talk.

Rode: I know that a lot is going on with the Cigar right now and I think they’re making steps in the right direction but I think that it’s important that we don’t attack them. I don’t think we should be ruining relationships that we have with student groups.

Kilduff: The idea of trying to accommodate them is getting old and it’s been going on for a long time.

Vice President

Cicero: Does everyone in exec have a copy code? Talk to Kim. Also, SOARC, how many members do you have?

Weinreich: Three including myself

Cicero: Make sure everyone is doing their office hours. Also fill out the low ropes waivers. And I haven’t received minutes from some committees

Academic Committee Recommendation for Vice Chair 8-0-0

Adjourned: 6:17