Things To Do Before Graduation
- Update E-Campus with address and name changes. Name in E-Campus is the name on diploma.
- Make sure that you check the Master Graduation List at the Reception Desk, 3rd floor Ballentine.
- Make sure that any holds you have on your E-Campus account are cleared.
- It is important that you verify that you do not have any sanctions or information restrictions placed on your academic record. If you have such restrictions, your name will not appear on the University Graduation program or in your local newspaper. It is your responsibility to take care of this matter if you wish to be recognized at Commencement.
- Make sure that you have removed any FERPA holds so your name can be included in the Graduation Program—To remove hold go to Self Service>Campus Personal Info>Privacy Settings>Edit Ferpa>Directory Restrictions.
Graduation & Honor Cords
- Your degree will say: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Your diploma will be mailed late summer for May graduates, late September for August graduates.
- Commencement website: http://web.uri.edu/commencement/
- If you do not pass all your classes you can still walk at commencement. Please do not call Assistant Dean Boyd.
Graduating with Honors
- Graduating with honors (Cum Laude) requires an overall GPA of 3.3; Magna Cum Laude is a 3.5; and Summa Cum Laude is a 3.7 as of May 18, 2014. Commencement brochure designates as of January 1, 2014.
- Honor cords are not available at the Bookstore and must be purchased directly from the honor societies. Here is the website for honor cords and active honor societies on campus http://web.uri.edu/commencement/students/www.uri.edu/hpr/Societies
There are no commencement rehearsals. Assembly areas, processional routes, and seating plans will be indicated in the Commencement Program and website. http://web.uri.edu/commencement/
Grad Images takes the photos for commencement. Proofs will be sent to your E-Campus email within 2 weeks after graduation.
Caps, Gowns, and Hoods
- College of Business Administration’s tassel color is Drab (Taupe).
- If you plan to participate in the 128th Commencement Ceremony, you must wear academic regalia, which can be purchased from the University Bookstore in the Memorial Union, April 3 to May 18, 2014. These items are not returnable. URI Student ID is required.
- Cost of the cap and gown around $30.
Main Commencement Exercises
For Undergraduate students: Sunday, May 18, 2014
- Main/Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
- 12:30 p.m. on the Quadrangle
- Undergraduate and honorary degrees awarded.
- 10 a.m.—Families & guests may take seats on the Quad. Programs will be available at information booths and from student escorts.
- Seating for families and guests on the open-air Quadrangle is limited and offered on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be guaranteed.
- Families and guests can watch the ceremony live telecast at the Keaney Gymnasium rain or shine. This is a great option for the elderly, young children or individuals with limitations.
- Prepare for weather conditions (e.g., bring water, snacks, umbrellas).
- No coolers will be allowed.
- This is an outdoor ceremony—Dress Appropriately—Leave the stilettos at home.
- 11:00 a.m.—Degree candidates (that means you) assemble in front of Memorial Union.
- 12:30 p.m.—Commencement ceremonies begin and will run approximately 90 minutes.
In the Case of Rain
- In the event of rain, the main commencement ceremony will be held at the Ryan Center.
- Bachelor’s degree recipients will each be allowed two guest tickets to the Ryan Center, in case of rain.
- Tickets to the Ryan Center are required.
- Balloons will not be allowed into the Ryan Center.
Additional Main Ceremony Viewing locations
Fine Arts Recital Hall, Edwards Hall, Keaney Gymnasium, Mackal Field House will be available for viewing the main Commencement ceremony. The buildings will re-open at 11:30 a.m. for viewing of the main commencement taking place on the Quadrangle, or in the Ryan Center (in the rain plan.) In addition, Swan Hall and locations within the Memorial Union (Ram’s Den, Memorial Ballroom, and Atriums) will be available for viewing the main commencement ceremony. Seating in all these viewing locations is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Disability Services—see website http://web.uri.edu/commencement
- Please call 401-874-2098 if you need accommodations for hearing impairments or any other disablitiy.
- Please check the website for the dates by which you must contact Disability Services for wheelchairs, etc.
After the Main Ceremony, the College of Business ceremonies continue at Keaney Gymnasium
- College of Business ceremony starts approximately one half-hour after the conclusion of the Main Ceremony (around 2:30 p.m.) and will run approximately 90 minutes to two hours.
- All graduates are required to stay for the entire College of Business commencement ceremony.
- Each CBA Graduate will receive 7 College ceremony tickets.
Parking and Logistics
- We suggest that you park in the Keaney Parking Lot, as the College of Business ceremony will be held in Keaney Gymnasium. There will be bus transportation to the top of campus for the main ceremony.
- All information about Commencement is available online at http://web.uri.edu/commencement/. The website includes everything you need to know related to eligibility, parking, maps, travel and more.
- You, your family members, and friends are encouraged to register to receive our SMS feed updates for any real-time commencement-related information.
- Traffic getting to/from campus and on campus is unusually heavy and parking is very limited on Commencement Day.
- We recommend that you carpool, use shuttles and public transportation, and most of all, plan ahead. Directions to and from campus and parking locations/designations are subject to change but will be updated online.
- Please note: The Quonset Air Show occurring on Commencement weekend, and we are anticipating an exceptionally high volume of traffic on all arteries leading to the campus. Please allow extra time to get to the campus.
For a list of restaurants, check the South Kingstown Chamber of Commerce Dining Guide www.SKChamber.com. Plan to make dinner reservations for after 6:30 p.m. to give yourself time to leave campus and arrive at your destination.
Visit www.SKChamber.com for area accommodations, and book reservations soon. Hotels and other accommodations will fill quickly.
What happens after Graduation?
About Health Insurance
- URI Health Insurance continues through August 31. if you have any questions regarding prescription transfers or any other medical questions please contact Health Services at 401-874-2246.
- Parents’ Health Insurance. You need to talk to parents to find out how long you are covered on their insurance.
- Kick in 6 months after graduation. For more information, go to https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/.
If you do not meet graduation requirements, you will receive an email notification from the Dean’s Office and be removed from the graduation list. You can be added to the August or December lists.
The College of Business will be emailing you a survey to complete in October.
Career Services Information
- For assistance with resumes, cover letters, and personal statements, contact Kathleen Jackson, College of Business Career Advisor (Ballentine 319, 401-874-9213 firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you don’t have a job, visit RhodyNet and http://career.uri.edu