URI Doctoral candidate elected VP of national physical therapy association

Alexander Dien to represent students on the American Physical Therapy Association’s Student Assembly

Alexander Dien

A third-year doctoral candidate in Physical Therapy at URI will represent the university in a national trade organization after being elected vice president of the American Physical Therapy Association’s Student Assembly.

Alexander Dien officially became a member of the association’s board of directors last week and will travel to Portland, Oregon, in early December for training and orientation. He said he hopes to improve communication with and from students and represent their points of view before the group that aims to advance the views and concerns of physical therapy students as they relate to industry practices and health care in general.

“My goal is to further communication from the bottom up, as well as the top down,” Dien said. “I want students to feel more welcome to share their opinions.”

The APTA represents more than 100,000 physical therapists and physical therapy students. It “seeks to improve the health and quality of life of individuals in society by advancing physical therapist practice, education and research, and by increasing the awareness and understanding of physical therapy’s role in the nation’s health care system,” the organization’s website reads. The Student Assembly aims to involve the next generation of physical therapists in advancing the industry and debating the issues affecting the profession.

Given the leadership he has consistently shown among his peers, Dien is the perfect person to represent the concerns of physical therapy students at URI, according to department Chairman Jeff Konin.

“During the past two years, I have had the privilege of watching Alex grow into a mature leader,” Konin said. “He not only represents the voice of his fellow students in a very caring way, he has brought additional recognition to our program and the University of Rhode Island as a result of the respect that his physical therapy peers from around the country have for him.”

Dien, a California native who earned his B.S. in cognitive science from the University of California at San Diego, arrived at URI in May 2015 to pursue a doctorate in physical therapy. He concentrates in neurological conditions including stroke and traumatic brain injury, and plans to seek a specialization in neurology. He said his experience at URI has prepared him to serve in a leadership role outside the university.

“My time as a student in physical therapy has taught me more than just the value of what’s inside the classroom,” Dien said. “It taught me about reaching out to others, the value of communication, and above all else, committing myself to the service of others. To me, service means bettering my environment so current problems aren’t issues for future generations.”