The University of Rhode Island is committed to research, scholarship and creative work. We’re constructing state-of-the art research facilities, hiring top-tier faculty and attracting the best and brightest applicants to our programs.
In recent years, URI has enhanced its research and teaching infrastructure by adding a new building for the Center of Biological and Life Sciences (CBLS), a new College of Pharmacy building, and a Center for Forensic Chemistry. Also, the University has commenced construction of a new Engineering Complex. Collectively, these investments amount to more than $350 million. In addition to state-funded capital assets, URI also received major gifts to form the Harrington School of Communication and Media and the George and Anne Ryan Institute for Neuroscience.
These are exciting times For URI and graduate education.
At the University of Rhode Island, we welcome big thinkers with bright minds to work with our world-renowned faculty and study with exceptional student colleagues. A pervasive spirit of inquiry thrives on this campus, enabling us to produce knowledge and scholarship that is relevant and in demand globally. Should you seek to study oceanography, psychology, or English literature, or pursue one of our professional or certificate programs, our faculty will challenge you to take charge of your education, think big, and make the most of your time in and out of the classroom. Consider the University of Rhode Island as you apply to graduate school. I hope to welcome you to our community of scholars in this special place.
Nasser H. Zawia, Ph.D.
Dean of the Graduate School
We manage our students’ progress through their programs of study from admission to degree completion. Additionally, we seek to achieve the following:
- To articulate and advocate for the role and value of graduate education both within the university community and beyond
- To facilitate the recruitment and retention of talented individuals to graduate programs at the University of Rhode Island
- To develop and ensure adherence to standards that reinforce the quality of graduate education and to efficiently administer central processes, such as admissions, for all graduate programs
- To inspire and motivate graduate students and faculty alike to excel in the research endeavors of their chosen fields of expertise
- To promote the availability of the intellectual and financial resources necessary for graduate students and faculty to become exceptional learners of what is known and discoverers of what is not known
The Graduate School at the University of Rhode Island seeks to facilitate the training and graduation of leaders who will be instrumental in making significant contributions to their fields of expertise in particular and the world community in general. The expectation is that our graduate programs will be widely respected as being among the best available.
Take a look at our graduate school manual.