Are you interested in getting involved with the global community at URI?
Congratulations! As a recently returned study abroad participant, your are invited to join the Office of International Education, the Office of National Student Exchange and the Office of International Students & Scholars in programs and activities that bring together URI U.S. students (you!) with international students. This is a great opportunity to practice a second language, learn a new one, becoming involved in the URI global community, and experience a different culture!
In collaboration with the Office of International Education Programs and Services, Peer Ambassadors help promote American culture and international education around campus. As a Peer Ambassador, you will participate in specialized programming that enhances international student’s experiences in the United States. Some of these activities will help with transitioning and/or applying study abroad skills into career skills; and [re]adjustment to U.S. culture.
The Peer Ambassador Program represents a comprehensive cross-cultural and educational experience. There will be presentations, seminars, and social events offered throughout the year. Past events have included a salsa night, intramural sports teams, language coffee hours, foreign film nights, ropes course, and many other great activities.
The Peer Ambassador program encourages peer bonding that is sometimes difficult to achieve when in a foreign country – a feeling that is often familiar to students who have studied away.
Peer Ambassador Responsibilities
- Represent the Office of International Education (OIE) & National Student Exchange in a professional manner
- Promote study abroad as a valuable experience that helps students to achieve academic, personal, professional, and cultural growth
- Be a resource and connection to campus for assigned exchange students
- Translate your study abroad experience into career skills by working with the OIE on recruitment, marketing, and cross cultural experiences, specifically:
If you are interested in assisting and engaging with the visiting international and national student population, send us an application. Students will be notified in early August about their acceptance into the program. If you have any questions, please contact the International Center (email@example.com or 401.874.5546)
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM on July 14th, 2016
Peer Ambassador Guidelines
Peer Ambassadors are expected to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Be mindful of the cultural differences of your students and how these factors may compound or alter their interpretations of persons and/or events in their surroundings. Take these factors into account when interacting with the students
- Stay in contact with your students throughout the semester reminding them that you are available if they have questions or concerns.
- Encourage students to participate in URI campus life (e,g, clubs, athletic activities, trips, and Peer Ambassador sponsored events).
- Refer students’ concerns to the PA Coordinator