The staff is available to assist you in becoming comfortable in your new environment. We will help you understand and comply with regulations from the the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Exchange Visitor Program; prepare I-20 and DS-2019 forms for you and your dependents;understand and access other U.S. and local government agencies requirements and services; and learn about other URI administrative offices and services.
After arriving and settling in, remember to confirm your arrival by bringing to the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) copies of your immigration documents and provide us with a US address and phone where you may be reached. If you are a J-1 visa holder, also provide us with proof of health insurance (J-1 and dependents). All these must be done within 30 days of the beginning date noted on your I-20 or DS-2019. We recommend that you download and complete the OISS registration form and bring it with you during your first visit to the OISS.
We look forward to meeting you!
Dr. Dania Brandford-Calvo
SEVIS Transfer Definition and Process
A “transfer” of a F-1/J-1 SEVIS record from one education institution in the US to another, in order to continue in F-1/J-1 status. This includes all categories F-1 students including English Language program students, and J-1 programs (students, professors, research scholars and interns) seeking admission or to begin a project at the University of Rhode Island.
For those students, interns, research scholars and professors transferring their SEVIS program (e.g., academic degree, internship placement, research project, and/or teaching appointment) to URI from another US academic institution, follow the steps below:
- Visit your current US international office and request a transfer of your SEVIS file to the OISS
- Complete Part I of the URI transfer-in form and submit it to the international student office at your current school. It is up to you to select the date you want your SEVIS record to be transferred to URI.
- Your current school international student adviser must email the completed form to our office.
Submit financial documents, biographical passport page, admission and/or invitation letter to the OISS/URI.
- Notify the OISS of the day of the SEVIS transfer.
OISS will electronically accesses your SEVIS record, on the transfer date requested by you, to create your new I-20 or DS-2019. If you are a student, in addition to completing these steps, follow all other steps indicated in the International Admission Webpage according you your degree level or visiting student category
SEVIS Transfer: Other Facts
You are eligible to transfer your status to URI as long as your classes here start within 5 months of the end date of your current program or OPT end date.
You are considered a SEVIS transfer student, if you are:
- Currently at another U.S. school (high school or secondary), college or university on OPT or AT , or will be studying in an English as a Second Language program before coming to the University of Rhode Island,
- If you are finishing OPT, you can transfer your SEVIS record during the 60 day grace period following OPT;
- If you are finishing AT, you can transfer your SEVIS record during the 30 day grace period following AT to begin a new academic program.
- You do not have to depart and re-enter the U.S. in between your programs if you are a SEVIS transfer student;
- You do not have to pay the SEVIS fee again;
- You are eligible for on-campus employment at URI once you receive your I-20 or DS-2019 from our office.
- OISS cannot issue a new I-20 or DS-2019 until your SEVIS record has been electronically transferred from your previous institution to URI and the release date indicated on the transfer-in form has been reached.
- Communicate with our office to make sure we receive the transfer-in form and are aware that you need to transfer your SEVIS record. You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know your name, your URI ID and list the academic program you have been admitted.
- All SEVIS transfers students MUST REPORT to the OISS within 15 days prior to the beginning of classes.
- All SEVIS transfer research scholars and professors MUST REPORT to the OISS as soon as they reach the Kingston campus.
URI Non-Discrimination Statement
It is the policy of the University of Rhode Island not to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, age, color, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or discriminate against disabled and Vietnam era veterans in the recruitment, admission or treatment of students, the recruitment, hiring or treatment of faculty and staff, and in the operation of its activities and programs, as specified by State and Federal Laws.