SURF’s up 2016: Rhode Island undergrads in research

DSC_0005Research fellow: Jasmine Miller
Hometown: Providence, RI
School: University of Rhode Island
Major: Biological Sciences
Mentor: Mindy Levine
Project: Detection and in situ fluorescence-based monitoring of hydrocarbon food sources in complex marine environments

Growing up in Providence, URI senior Jasmine Miller says that without any scientist role models in her family, she is not sure exactly where the inspiration came from to pursue a scientific career.

“One day, it just hit me,” she explains. “I realized I could be anything I wanted to be.”

She says she arrived on campus knowing that she liked biology and wanted to go to medical school. Yet, the negative perceptions of research she developed in high school left her thinking she did not want to pursue life in the lab.

However, all of that changed her freshman year of college after she became enthusiastically engaged in her science courses. She says she decided to start fresh and give research another chance. Thus far, Miller has conducted research through the URI honors program and participated in three research fellowships, including the RI EPSCoR fellowship, and says she has officially changed her mind.

“It’s been really fun and taken me on different career paths,” Miller says. “I want to do more than just medicine — I want to be involved in research as well.”

This summer, Miller is working in the chemistry lab of Assistant Professor Mindy Levine, using molecules known as cyclodextrins and fluorophores to detect toxicants, or manmade toxic substances, in marine environments. Miller says the RI EPSCoR fellowship gave her the opportunity to join Levine’s lab, connect with her peers who are on the same track, and contribute to the larger body of science.

“This research experience has been really essential for me,” Miller reflects. “When I do research in the lab here, I use what I learned in my chemistry labs; I’m putting those techniques into practice.

“In high school, the research always felt forced and I rebelled against it. I always imagined that being a scientist meant sitting at a bench with minimum communication with other people. But now that I’m actually in it, I’m finding it’s very different and quite exciting.”

Miller, who graduates in December 2016, will study abroad in Costa Rica for the fall semester studying tropical medicine and the Costa Rican health care system, health psychology, cultural photography, and Spanish language specialized for health care professionals.

Story and photo by Amy Dunkle