- Professor; George and Barbara Young Chair in Biology; Coordinator, URI Marine Biology Program
- Biological Sciences
- Phone: 401.874.2609
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Location: Office: CBLS 293
- Website: https://webblaburi.com
Development and Evolution of Fish Sensory Systems, especially the Mechanosensory Lateral Line System; Functional Morphology; Evolutionary Developmental Biology; Ichthyology and Fish Biology
Ph.D., Boston University (Marine Program) (1988)
B.S., Biological Sciences, Cornell University (1979)
- Majoris, J.E., Foretich, M.A., Hu, Y., Nickles, KR, Di Persia CL, Chaput R, Webb JF, Paris CB, Buston, PM. 2021. An integrative investigation of sensory organ development and orientation behavior throughout the larval phase of a coral reef fish. Scientific Reports 11, 12377
- Webb, JF, Maruska KP, Butler JM, Schwalbe MAB. 2021. The lateral line system of cichlid fishes: Anatomy to behavior. In: Abate ME & Noakes DLG (Eds.). The Behavior, Ecology and Evolution of Cichlid Fishes: A Contemporary Modern Synthesis. Springer Academic.
- Nickles KR, Hu Y, Majoris JE, Buston, PM and Webb JF. 2020. Organization and ontogeny of a complex lateral line system in a goby (Elacatinus lori), with a consideration of function and ecology. Copeia 108(4): 863–885. Awarded 2020 Best Paper in Ichthyology in Copeia.
- Webb, J.F., 2020. Morphology of the Mechanosensory Lateral Line System of Fishes. In: Fritzsch, B. (Ed.) and Bleckmann, H. (Vol. Ed.), The Senses: A Comprehensive Reference, vol. 7. Elsevier, pp. 29–46.
- Hu Y, Majoris JE, Buston PM, Webb, JF. 2018. Potential roles of olfaction and taste in the orientation behavior of coral reef fish larvae: Insights from morphology. J. Fish Biol. – Special Issue on Sensory Ecology of Fishes. 95: 311–323.
- Conith, MR, Hu, Y, Conith, AJ, Maginnis MA, Webb, JF and Albertson, RC. 2018. Genetic and developmental origins of a unique foraging adaptation in a Lake Malawi cichlid genus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 115 (27) 7063-7068.
- Marranzino, AN and Webb, JF. 2018. Flow sensing in the deep sea: The mechanosensory lateral line system of stomiiform fishes. Zool. J. Linn. Soc. 183: 945- 956.
- Webb JF and Ramsay J. 2017. New interpretation of the 3-D configuration of lateral line scales and the lateral line canal contained within them. Copeia 105 (2): 339-347. Awarded 2017 Best Paper in Ichthyology in Copeia.
Bio 360 Marine Biology
Bio 412/512 Evolution and Diversity of Fishes
Bio 593 Sensory Biology
Bio 594 Fish Development
URI Foundation, Teaching Excellence Award, Finalist - 2019, 2021, 2022
URI College of the Environment and Life Sciences, Research Excellence Award - 2020