Face of the Fight: Maddie O’Neill ’20, Health Studies

College of Health Sciences staff, faculty members and students across all departments are dedicating themselves to helping during the COVID-19 health crisis we are all facing. Here, we highlight their work in their own words. Know someone helping out who should be recognized? Email their story to patrickluce@uri.edu.

My name is Maddie O’Neill and I will graduate from the University of Rhode Island in May 2020 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Health Studies. I currently work during the school year as a per-diem phlebotomist and client services representative at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.

Brigham and Women’s has adapted by creating a COVID-specific unit for the increasing patient population. I have been working 12-hour shifts in the COVID-specific unit. Caregivers on the front lines of the crisis are continuously being confronted with situations putting not only themselves, but their own families and loved ones at risk.

I am thankful that the University of Rhode Island has helped me develop leadership skills and learn about stress management and effective teamwork communication, especially during these stressful times. Stay safe!