Thank you for your ongoing adherence to the COVID-19 protocols we have in place on URI campuses. As the guidelines have changed from last semester, we are asking each of you to take a moment now to review the following current guidance and expectations.
If students are experiencing symptoms or have an exposure, they should immediately call Health Services at 401-874-2246 to speak with a member of the Health Services team. At that time, testing instructions and other guidance will be provided as needed. Health Services is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. If faculty or staff are experiencing symptoms or have an exposure, they should call their health care provider.
URI has two testing centers on the Kingston Campus and will be opening one on the Feinstein Providence Campus next week for students, faculty and staff.
- Surveillance testing is available weekdays, on the Kingston Campus from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Memorial Union, Atrium One, and Tuesday and Thursday, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. on the Feinstein Providence Campus.
- Unvaccinated students and employees (excluding classified employees) are currently required to test twice per week, preferably at the Memorial Union or Providence testing center between Monday and Friday. If you DO NOT use the URI testing center, you MUST upload proof of your tests to the patient portal. Students are required to test twice per week with a minimum of 48 hours between tests. Students not in compliance will be referred to Community Standards and Conduct and employees will be referred to the Office of Human Resource Administration.
- Vaccinated community members are not currently required to be tested but are strongly encouraged to do so regularly. In addition, Health Services will be sending out requests to test individuals who have been in a class, laboratory, athletic, or social event where they are not identified as a close contact but surveillance testing is being requested.
- Symptomatic testing is available 7 days a week at URI Health Services Testing Trailer/Service Window. Students and employees who are experiencing symptoms should not go to class/work and should seek a test immediately. Testing is available weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students can also call Health Services at 401-874-2246 to speak with a health care provider. Employees are encouraged to call their health care provider.
- Any student who obtains a positive test from outside of URI (regardless of their vaccination status) must immediately isolate and call URI Health Services at 401-874-2246. Students need to also upload proof to the patient portal. URI Health Services will provide information on isolation procedures and further guidance. For each positive case, Health Services conducts comprehensive contact tracing and will notify the Dean’s Office of verified absence from class.
- Any unvaccinated student who obtains a test from outside of URI for compliance with the twice per week testing requirement (Monday – Sunday at least 48 hours apart) must upload those results to the patient portal to be considered in compliance.
- Vaccinated students, faculty, and staff who are exposed to a positive case, do not need to quarantine as long as they do not have any symptoms. Students who are notified that they are a close contact, should obtain a test between days 3 and 5 from the time of exposure. Students are still able to attend class and activities with masking.
- Unvaccinated students, faculty, and staff must quarantine for 7 days and receive a negative test after 5 days before resuming in-person attendance. Students must contact Health Services if they have a known exposure for further guidance. Employees should notify their supervisor.
- Universal Masking – All URI community members and visitors are asked to universally mask indoors. Please make sure you are appropriately wearing your mask at all times (mask must cover your nose and chin).
- Vaccine Clinics – Vaccination continues to be safe and the most effective way to limit the transmission of the COVID virus in our community. We have several clinics remaining at URI for anyone who is interested in obtaining a vaccine and there are many local sites within our surrounding community.
- To access general care or information, please contact URI Health Services by calling 401-874-2246. Students are requested to call first to speak with a Health Services staff member and are asked not to walk in.
- The URI Health Services COVID-19 tracker on our website provides the most up-to-date information available regarding testing and COVID-19 case information for our community.
- Counseling Services is a confidential resource for students where they can access support to help manage their emotional well being. Services offered include short-term individual therapy, crisis intervention, consultation, outreach educational programs, and referrals. Whatever your needs, please do not hesitate to call 401-874-2288 to set up an appointment.
The University will continue to evaluate and update its health protocols as data and public health guidance change. The University will continue to prioritize the health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and the community. Should you have any questions, concerns or needs, please reach out to Health Services directly at 401-874-2246.