Obtaining your visa

Maintaining your status

Important information for all F‐1 and J‐1 visa holders

A graphic showing a passport with a travel visa

The Office of International Students & Scholars should be the first place you go for any questions relating to your visa status. If you are a new arrival, report to the Office of International Students & Scholars in the International Center at 37 Lower College Road in Kingston as soon as you arrive on campus. The University is required to report your arrival to the Department of Homeland Security within 30 days of the start of the semester.

  • Always keep your I‐20 or DS‐2019 form up to date — notify OISS of any changes to information listed on the form.
  •  If you need more time to complete your program, request an extension of your I‐20 or DS‐2019 at least 30 days before it expires.
  • Get a travel signature from the Office of International Students & Scholars before any travel outside the US.
  • Report the arrival of your dependents to the the Office of International Students & Scholars.
  • Keep your passport valid at least 6 months into the future at all times while in the US.
  • If you plan to transfer to another school, notify the Office of International Students & Scholars.  OISS must initiate the transfer using SEVIS.
  • Do not begin off-campus employment without authorization.
  • If you change your physical address, update your new address within 10 days of moving.

For students visa holders only:

  • Always register for a full course of study as defined on our international registration page. A full course of study at URI is:
    • 12 credits for undergraduate students
    • 9 credits for graduate students 
    • 6 credits for graduate students who have been awarded an assistantship from their department
    • 3 credits for graduate students who have been approved for ABD status by the Graduate School
  • Do not work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • Report to the Office of International Students & Scholars if you change and/or add another major; or change your academic level or program.
  • Consult with the Office of International Student & Scholars before dropping below full-time enrollment.
  • Maintain good academic standing by keeping a good GPA.
  • Do not start CPT employment until your academic advisor and Office of International Students & Scholars have approved it.
  • Do not enroll in more than one online course per semester (3-4 credits maximum).
  • Be sure to meet with an OISS advisor before beginning the OPT and/or AT request process.

We recommend that you avoid making last-minute requests for visa-related services and supporting documents.

We’re here to help

A picture of the International Center decorated for the fall semester

Office of International Students and Scholars

Monday – Friday
8:30am – 4:30pm Eastern Time

International Center
37 Lower College Road
Kingston, RI, 02881