Travel and Visa Informaton

Travel Outside the United States 

For information on entering specific countries, students should consult the embassy of the country they would like to visit. The following websites contain information on foreign consular offices: 

Re-Entry Documents

The following documents are needed for Re-entry into the United States for international students in F-1 or J-1 visa status who wish to travel outside the United States before returning to URI:

  • Passport valid six months into the future 
  • Valid F or J visa stamp in your passport (not necessary for Canadians and Bermudans) 
  • Travel Signature on I-20/DS-2019 form (Signature is valid for one year, but recommended every six months – before winter and summer breaks)  

***I-20: Travel endorsement located on page 3 

***DS-2019: Travel Validation located on the lower right  

  • Optional documents: Copy of URI unofficial transcripts  

F-1 students on OPT also need their OPT card and proof of employment such as a letter stating when employment will begin or resume.

*** The travel signature for an F-1 student on OPT is valid for only SIX months. 

Visa Renewal 

A visa in your passport issued by a United States consulate does not determine how long you can remain in the United States. Therefore, you may stay in the United States beyond the expiration date of a visa as long as the visa document (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019) remains valid. Once your United States visa has expired and you travel outside the United States, you must obtain a new visa before you can return to the United States. 

Note: It is not possible to renew a visa within the United States. Visas are issued only by a United States consul in a U.S. embassy or consulate located outside the United States. 

Documents needed if applying for a new or renewal of your visa stamp at a U.S. consulate/embassy abroad

 Most recent URI I‐20 or DS‐2019 form with a recent travel signature from the Office International Students and Scholars (no more than 6 months old).  
 Proof of financial support (personal bank statements; letter of financial support – assistantship, scholarships, award letter from the government or home institution, etc.).  
 Proof of your current enrollment at URI  
  A copy of your unofficial transcripts 
 Any other documents required at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy office where you will apply for your visa renewal. Access specific country and consulate information. Check for fees, application process, and processing times, which vary between offices and countries. 
More information

Automatic Revalidation – Re-Entering the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean on an Expired Visa 

Re-entry to the United States with an expired visa is normally prohibited. However, in certain situations, the requirement for a valid visa is exempted. The US Department of State refers to this program as automatic revalidation

Certain international students on F-1 or J-1 can re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands* on an expired visa if the trip is shorter than 30 days.

NOTE: The automatic revalidation option is NOT available for citizens or nationals from countries determined by the Department of State as state sponsors of terrorism.  

Adjacent islands include: 

Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Marie-Galante, Martinique, Miquelon, Montserrat, Saba, Saint-Barthelemy, Saint Christopher, Saint Eustatius, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Maarten, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre, Saint Vincent, Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Other British, French and Netherlands territory or possessions bordering on the Caribbean Sea. (Cuba is not included) 

Travel Within the U.S. 

You are allowed to travel within the United States as you wish. There are no restrictions on travel within the United States (including travel to Hawaii, Alaska, or any U.S. territory), and no special documents are required. 

It is important, however, that you and your dependents (if any) carry your passport and visa documents with you when traveling in the United States in case you need to present them to law enforcement officials for confirmation of your visa status.  

You should bring the following: 

  • Passport 
  • I-20/DS-2019 Form  
  • Proof of health insurance