Residency Guidelines

Discounted in-state tuition is available to students who meet the residency requirements for the state of Rhode Island. Also, the New England Regional Student Program allows New England residents to enroll at out-of-state New England public colleges and universities at a discount if they enroll in an approved degree program not offered by the public colleges and universities in their home state.

To enroll:

  • Step 1:
    • If you live in Rhode Island, review the Rhode Island Residency Policy to see if you qualify for In-state tuition;
    • If you live in New England (outside of RI), check to see if your degree program qualifies for the RSP Tuition Break.
  • Step 2:
    • Download and complete the Graduate School Certificate of Residence form and follow the instructions for providing proof of residency.
      • If you have been a registered voter for one year in Rhode Island (or your home state if claiming Regional Residency), have the above form notarized by the town/city clerk and submit to the Graduate School.
      • If not, see these instructions on which additional supporting documents to include with your application.

All Residency forms and supporting documentation must be emailed as PDFs to the Graduate School Admission Office at



Under certain circumstances, students may apply for reclassification as a Rhode Island student for the purposes of paying resident tuition and fees. If you would like to be considered for reclassification from regional- or out-of-state tuition to in-state tuition complete the Petition for Reclassification form.

All Residency forms and supporting documentation must be emailed as PDFs to the Graduate School Admission Office at

The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education has set a high bar for changing from out-of-state to in-state residency for tuition purposes and you must prove that you did not come here solely for education purposes. To effect this change you must show clear and compelling evidence that you intend to have Rhode Island be your permanent place of residence following the completion of your studies. Such evidence may include one of the items in this document. If you have been enrolled at a public college or university for more than six credits per semester you will be considered as residing in Rhode Island primarily for educational purposes and will be presumed to have not been a resident of the state during the time so enrolled, therefore ineligible for in-state tuition.

Undocumented Students Living in Rhode Island

To qualify for in-state tuition, the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education requires that undocumented students submit the appropriate forms. Review the Guidance for Students and Families of Undocumented Students and submit an affidavit and student application.

Military, veterans and dependents

For more information regarding tuition residency applications for active duty military or veterans and their respective spouses/dependents, please email

Residency Forms and Instructions

Residency Resources
RI/Regional ResidencyBoard of Governors In-State Policy
RI/Regional ResidencyCertificate of Residence Application
RI/Regional ResidencyCertificate of Residence Application Instructions
RI/Regional ResidencyMilitary Eligibility and Documentation
RI/Regional ResidencyPetition for Re-Classification Application
RI/Regional ResidencyRegional Residency Information