Creating Equitable, Sustainable, and Resilient Food Systems
September – December 2022
Tuesday evenings at 7pm
Edwards Auditorium and online
Food. Though we depend on it to survive and thrive, many Americans have become increasingly disconnected from the complex systems that provide our food.
The Fall 2022 Honors Colloquium at the University of Rhode Island, “Just Good Food: Creating Equitable, Sustainable, and Resilient Food Systems,” will explore ways to reconnect with our food systems through topics including: food history and culture; social-ecological impacts and planetary limits; food, race, and gender; political economy of food systems; indigenous foodways and food sovereignty; agroecology; and urban agriculture, innovation, and social entrepreneurship.
Please join us for this multifaceted exploration of the past, present, and future of local and global food systems through the lenses of sustainability, equity, justice, and resilience.
Coordinators: Marta Gomez-Chiarri, John Taylor
Advisory Committee: Patrick Baur, LuAnne Roth, Dawn Spears, Pierre St-Germaine
- Restoring Indigenous Foodways in a Time of Climate Change–Lessons for the 8th Fire - Winona LaDuke Watch Video
September 13, 2022
- The Exception and Not the Norm: Becoming an Agricultural and Food Justice Advocate - Vanessa Garcia-Polanco Watch Video
September 27, 2022
- The (R)evolution of Indigenous Food Systems of North America - Sean Sherman Watch Video
October 4, 2022
- Black Food, Black Liberation: Thinking, Writing, and Living Beyond Lack - Ashanté M. Reese Watch Video
October 11, 2022.
- Kitchen Rebellion: Food under Italian Fascism and Everyday Resistance - Diana Garvin Watch Video
October 18, 2022.
- Labor and the Food System - Saru Jayaraman Watch Video
October 25, 2022.
- Urban Farming, Community Organizing and Family: A Black Chef’s Journey - Denzel Mitchell Watch Video
November 15, 2022
- Perilous Bounty: Emerging Crises in Industrial Agriculture - Tom Philpott Watch Video
November 29, 2022
- Uprooting Racism and Seeding Sovereignty in the Food System - Leah Penniman Watch Video
December 6, 2022
- The 21st Century Food System We Deserve - Ricardo Salvador Watch Live
December 13, 2022
- Dec. 13: Ricardo Salvador
The 21st Century Food System We Deserve
Salvador is director of the Food & Environment Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists. He will discuss working with citizens, scientists, economists and politicians to move the food system into one that grows and produces healthy foods while employing sustainable and equitable practices. The lecture is co-sponsored by the Rhode Island Food Policy Council.
Learn more about the URI Honors Program.