Lili Klayman ’22

Home town: Mansfield, MA

Specialization: Global and environmental health

Why did you come to URI?

When I stepped onto the URI campus during the school tour, I just knew that this university was the place for me. I also liked that the school was close to the ocean and had a lot of extracurricular activities!

What surprised you most about URI?

I was surprised by the connections that I have made here. I have met friends that I will have for life and professors that I can always reach out to. The people that I have met here have truly become like a second family.

Why did you major in health studies?

As someone who is interested in many things, I loved the idea of being able to study environmental, global, and physical health all in one program. I also liked that many aspects of public health include promoting health through education.

What do you consider to be the greatest strength of Health Studies?

One of the greatest strengths of this major are the endless job opportunities. I have peers who are all Health Studies majors but are following vastly different career paths. This is also helpful because when a person with this degree enters the workforce, they will have connections in almost every field.

What extracurricular and experiential learning opportunities did you have at URI?

At URI, I was able to serve as the president of the Public Health Club, work with epidemiologists from the CDC and complete an internship with the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH). At RIDOH, I was a mental health ambassador, and the internship included creating videos about mental health for college students. 

What advice do you have for Health Studies majors?

Enjoy your time at URI because the four years go by quickly! Also, utilize your professors because they are there to support you in your education as well as in your career.

What’s next for you?

I will be working in Providence as a community health worker. My goals for the next few years include working for the government such as working for the RIDOH or the CDC and getting my Master’s Degree.