Luisa Santos ’22

Home town: Cumberland, Rhode Island

Specialization: Health Services

Why did you come to URI?

There are several reasons as to why I chose to come to URI! The biggest reason was being accepted into the Talent Development program that made me part of a community of people with similar backgrounds as me while also opening the door for endless opportunities. I was also fascinated by all the different STEM majors that could allow me to work in the healthcare field one day. Finally, I completely fell in love with the campus which made the decision of attending URI a lot easier. 

What surprised you most about URI

I was surprised to see all the different resources available at URI for students, such as the Writing Center, tutoring at the AEC Center, and career resources at the CCEE. There is no doubt that these resources helped me guarantee my success as an undergraduate!

Why did you major in health studies?

I majored in Health Studies because I wanted to pursue a career in public health, and I knew that this major would expose me to several different areas of the healthcare field. I was also interested in nutrition, and the health studies curriculum made it easy for me to double major in both of my interests. 

What do you consider to be the greatest strength of the Health Studies major?

One of the biggest strengths of the Health Studies major is the flexibility in the curriculum that allows students to explore their different passions by choosing a specialty, and within that specialty it allows students to pick the classes they are most interested in. This major is also great for people who would like to double major because the curriculum makes it easy to combine with another STEM major. 

What experiential learning opportunities did you have at URI?

During my time at URI, I took advantage of several different experiential learning opportunities such as working for SNAPEd, URI SNAP Outreach, Project stRIde, and a maple syrup health promotion initiative on campus. Out of all the learning experiences I had at URI my favorite was studying abroad in Indonesia for a global health intervention that allowed me to put in practice everything I learned in class while gaining new skills in the field. 

What advice do you have for Health Studies majors?

My advice for undergraduate students is to work hard and study a lot, but most importantly take advantage of all the opportunities that are presented to you. I know you will hear this many times but make sure you make connections with your professors, advisors, and peers because they are your best resource. But most importantly, don’t forget to have fun! 

What’s next for you?

After I graduate, I will work as a Diet Tech at Rhode Island Hospital while I prepare to apply to a master’s program and a dietetic internship soon with the goal of becoming a registered dietitian with a public health background.