New Year, New Normal

After an exhausting fall semester of remote learning, we are all looking for new ways to adjust to our new “normal” school routines. Classes will once again take place online and some of us are nervous about having to get back into the swing of things. With a new COVID-19 vaccine available, many of us are feeling optimistic that we will be able to return to campus in the fall! Until then, it is important that we stay focused and put our mental health first as we prepare for another semester from home. 

Many college students feel extra stress and pressure while doing schoolwork and projects from home since it can be easy to lose focus during both asynchronous and scheduled class meetings. Taking time to prepare ahead of class can make a huge difference, both for your class success and decreasing the amount of stress you feel when approaching an important assignment. Although school is a foremost priority, checking in with yourself and your loved ones regularly can be rewarding. While this may seem like it is easier said than done, there are many ways to limit your stress during the upcoming Spring semester! 

Here are 4 ideas to add to your 2021 routine:

Planning Ahead

male writing in a journal

One of the ways I have been able to remain focused on my goals is by keeping my body and my mind occupied every day. Even if you aren’t working currently and you find yourself bored and stuck at home, planning for your future can be an exciting way to keep your mind sharp. When I have a free day, I often will take some of my time to research careers in my major and make plans for after college. I have found that my goals feel more attainable when they are written down in front of me where I can reflect on them each day. 

A great source for finding trustworthy information about careers is www.bls.gov.ooh. This is a government website where you can search for occupations according to your experience or college degree and find out information such as average pay, education requirements, and satisfaction rates.

Even if you are working and preparing for another stressful semester at home, you can do this while relaxing from the comfort of your own bed or couch and still feel as though you did something productive!

Keep Moving

Person walking up stairs only show bottom of feet and legsAlthough the couch may seem more inviting during a rather isolated break from your studies, your body will thank you if you take this time to exercise and keep your muscles awake. You do not have to be a fitness fanatic to get your heart beating faster and break a sweat! 

Three easy ways to incorporate exercise into your day include:

Taking a walk: take your sibling, parents, or pets on a walk for at least 30 mins around your neighborhood

Climbing stairs: take advantage of any staircases in your home and do a few laps up and down to get your heart pumping

Quick Reps: search for easy workouts online and do 10 reps of each move daily, or check out our 5-minute exercise breaks.

It is important to be active so that your body can move easier and you can prevent injuries or pain that may come from sitting down all day. Try to incorporate these activities into at least three days of each week and feel the difference in your energy, stamina, and mood!

Talk About It

During a time where many of us have not been able to interact face-to-face with our friends and family, the people we love may be struggling to express emotions or concerns about themselves or the world around them. It can be therapeutic to talk about the ups and downs of daily life with those we trust.

Much like a virtual family dinner, you can start group chats with your friends or relatives than have a “talk about it” day once a week to discuss topics such as anxiety about recent events, personal struggles, or just a general check-in! 

virtual meeting, with 8 boxes of people

This group chat can provide a safe space to remind each other that you care and that you are still here for support, even if it cannot be in person. Each person in the group can take turns sharing whatever is on their mind and receive advice or input from others. 

Having a designated time each week to discuss serious topics can be beneficial not only for your mental health but also for that of the people you care about.

Make Time for Fun

Jessica holding a book looking at the cameraWhile prioritizing your education and work responsibilities, remembering to make time for leisure activities can give you a much-needed break from all the pressure you may be under.

Going outside or indulging in a new book can get your creativity flowing and keep you motivated!

Having a socially-distant outing with a friend can also leave you feeling replenished and energized when you find yourself trapped at home. Doing the things you would normally do can still be made possible if you adjust them to be COVID-friendly!

One of the ways I relax after a stressful work week is by going to a local cafe by myself and walking around in a downtown area with shops and scenic views. Spending time with myself has been a newfound favorite of mine, as it provides a temporary distraction from the events in my daily life. 

Another way I unwind is by reserving time for my hobbies, such as drawing or sewing. I might also start a cleaning project around my home and re-organize my closet or cabinets. When I want to feel productive yet still have some fun, I find that changing up the scenery around me can leave me feeling revitalized. 

As you prepare for a new semester, remember to make time for yourself and encourage yourself to grow each day. While you may feel overwhelmed with changes in everyday life and life in college, staying optimistic for what may be to come can forge confidence and keep you focused on your goals. 

Your future self will thank you for allowing yourself to take some “me” time.

Let us know what you do to stay mentally and physically active from home!

Jess blog writer sitting at a table with beach in the backgroundHi everyone! I’m Jessica Thomas, a senior here at URI majoring in Communications. After moving to Rhode Island from Southern Connecticut on my own, I’ve now lived in Warwick for almost three years. Becoming a part of the Campus Recreation team has given me the opportunity to write fun blogs that enable myself and other students to relate and connect despite having limited time on campus. I have always loved writing and hope to have my work positively impact the lives of others! I also enjoy activities such as barre, sewing, and hiking. Rhode Island has become home for me and has brought me so many special experiences, especially during my time in college. The URI community is so welcoming and is always changing, so I am excited to represent our school through this blog!