Tips from an Intern

Listen to Tara’s blog here.

As a rising senior at URI, this summer I have been interning remotely with a large electronics, healthcare, and life science company. But, it wasn’t an easy road to get where I am today. 

Like every college student, I have been stressed about securing an internship through the fall, spring, and summer starting my freshman year. Like every college student, I too have been struggling to find the right path to follow when looking at my future career. But, like many of my blogs, I have some tips for you! 

In this post, I will share my pre-professional journey so far – where I am and how I got here – to show that no one has the same path when it comes to finding an internship. 

Tip 1: Make Your Own Path

During my three years at URI, I learned many things. But, one of the biggest and most memorable lessons I learned is that no matter which stage you are at in your career, whether you are a full-time employee, a student in high school, or a first-year intern, everyone is on their own unique path to success.

When starting to look for an internship, I, like many others, looked to a hiring platform, like LinkedIn, to find any opportunities that aligned with my major. I applied ambitiously to large organizations. After days of searching, applying, and waiting, I began to feel overwhelmed by the silence of waiting for a response. While I was on what felt like my hundredth internship application, many of my friends and fellow peers had landed internships at the first place they had applied to. 

In my mind, many questions began to arise. 

What if I never find an internship that is right for me? Why do I keep getting to the last interview and getting denied? Why do other students have more opportunities than I do? What if I am more behind than everyone else? 

I was not only continuously putting myself down because I was getting denied from each place I applied to, but I was also getting frustrated with many companies’ silence after months of waiting. But, the feeling of frustration of not hearing back from internships is normal. Sometimes, an email lands in your inbox months later stating you have been denied the opportunity or that they have filled the spot. 

This is why it is so important to apply to as many internships as you can! Especially at those beginning stages early on in college. Though you may be frustrated with the applications that have been denied, you will find one that gets your foot into the door to start up your pre-professional career. 

Your first internship usually won’t be your dream position, but it will be one that will add value to your future internships and careers. One of the first steps to finding that first opportunity is to look for internships that are searching for individuals with your skill sets. Then, ensure that internship will help you develop other skills and talents that can help you reach your dream job in the future. 

When I entered my sophomore year of college, I found the opportunity to be a blog writer for Campus Recreation. At first, I was happy to land a job at URI and be a part of the community. But, I soon learned that this first internship brought me many opportunities, experiences, and connections. 

I am so glad that I started my journey by joining the Campus Recreation team. Because of my work experience, like following deadlines, copywriting, gaining editing skills, and making connections with other employees as well as my boss, I secured another internship in Sydney, Australia while I was studying abroad in the spring. 

Following your own path can be daunting sometimes. Because the future is unknown, which happens to be one of my biggest challenges, and it makes it hard to settle or even keep pushing to find a perfect internship. But, do not give up! You will soon find an internship that is perfect for you. 

Tip 2: Be Okay with Being Uncomfortable 

In life, things change quickly and force you to adjust. The workplace is quite similar. When I was in Australia, I had the opportunity to intern with the American Chamber of Commerce in Australia. I went through an interview process where I was told what my role would be for the next six weeks. 

Unfortunately, the day prior to my first day of work, I received a phone call from my manager telling me that she was resigning and that I would be working with another manager in the office. This change was hard to adjust to because I was doing tasks that I was not expecting. I was unsure of my role in the office and was trying to help out in any way possible, instead of doing assignments that were related to my majors. 

I was across the world, in a new office, and in a place where I was not a permanent employee. Needless to say, I was feeling uncomfortable and like I did not fit in. But, after voicing my concerns to my family as well as my new manager, I realized that I was only here for six weeks and needed to do my best to make a positive impression. 

Though I wasn’t quite doing what I thought my intern role would be, I made my presence known in the office and offered my skills and time to anyone who needed assistance. I focused on developing other skills I can use throughout my future careers, like learning to navigate Excel, Microsoft Teams, and other platforms.This made me interact more with other employees and allowed me to get the most out of this internship. In the end of my six weeks, I learned how to better communicate, follow strict deadlines, and write professionally. 

Being okay with being uncomfortable is something I have learned the significance of not only in my internship in Sydney but moving through life now. Putting yourself out there in uncomfortable situations will make you stand out as an individual. Try new things, be open to new assignments, and reflect on the value of every opportunity. 

Because of my first professional internship in Australia and being uncomfortable with my role, I have taken a step forward on my path to finding my future career. I have deepened my skills, got better at communicating, and understood my own values which has led me to a wonderful summer internship this summer. 

Tip 3: Take Risks 

My final tip for anyone who is searching for an internship or someone who is worried about their winding path is to take risks. Take risks by applying ambitiously and making connections with everyone you can will help you land an internship that you love. 

Sending an email, making a phone call, or approaching someone regarding their job can be extremely nerve-wracking. But, in the end it is very rewarding. During high school and the past few years in college, I have made some special connections through the act of communication. Many of these connections are with people who have a job at my dream companies, which are major publishing houses. Taking the step to reach out was scary, but in the end, has guided me to where I am now with an internship that I enjoy. For me, it was the opportunity to talk to my neighbor about my ambitions for the future. A conversation sparked and she brought up names, friends of hers, who work at publishing houses like HarperCollins and Penguin Random House. 

These small conversations lead to larger interactions and provide once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Though I have completed the applications and interviews, connected and reached out to many people in these companies, I unfortunately still got denied; my path is not perfect. It has windy roads and sometimes leads me to a dead end, but these connections are what I look forward to when I am looking for opportunities to turn my dreams into reality. 

Last fall, my brother had a football game at Ithaca College. There I met a woman who is now my boss. When my mother discovered that the woman was a journalism major and currently the Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer at Merck/Millipore Sigma, she encouraged me to talk to my future boss. I took the scary first step to introduce myself, alluded in conversation that I was looking for an internship, and through this conversation, I landed a position at a wonderful company for this summer. 

If I never had taken the steps to go through the numerous interviews, replying to email chains, picking up the phone, or simply having a conversation with another individual, I would never have a spot as a Global DE&I (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) Intern at Merck/Millipore Sigma right now. 

Though my path has been bumpy and there still is a long road ahead, this is just one of the beginning pieces to my career that will pave and lay stepping stones to a career I have always wanted. 

If you are searching for opportunities and feeling like you are reaching a dead end on your path, follow some of my tips. If you are ever at a family barbeque and know there is someone you can talk to just to discuss what their job is, do it! Don’t be afraid to ask questions or to hand out your phone number. There are people who want to see you succeed and help you on your career journey. 

I hope this blog was helpful to anyone who is feeling stressed or overwhelmed with their personal journey of finding a career. You are not alone and this process is one that is tedious. Thank you for reading along and stay tuned for next week where I will be sharing even more tips and tricks on my note-to-self blog.