Overcoming Gym-Xiety

Growing up, I was always involved in some sort of athletic activity. My childhood memories are filled with dance recitals and gymnastics competitions. In high school, I was on a team in some capacity almost every season for all four years.

For those who don’t pursue club or college athletics, stepping into college means stepping out of organized sports and athletics. Combined with the closure of gyms during the pandemic, many of our athletic lifestyles have taken a hit in the past few years. About six months ago, I realized how much I missed being active and committed to getting involved again, only to learn that I had a new hangup: gymxiety. 

What is gymxiety?

Have you ever walked into a gym and felt like everyone was staring at you? Do you avoid trying machines or weights because you’re worried about what others will think? Are your thoughts on your outfit, hair, or others rather than the task? You might be experiencing gym-related anxiety, categorized by feelings of nervousness and intimidation. You aren’t alone. 

From my research that I found using URI’s Library database I learned that some research suggests that one in two Americans are intimidated at the thought of going to the gym, women experiencing anxiety at slightly higher rates. Transgender and nonbinary folks report similar findings at different degrees, with one study finding that 64% of self-identifying transgender gym-goers feel unwelcome at gyms due to their gender identity.  

Whether it’s a matter of skill, inclusion, confidence, or self-doubt, anxiety does not have to stop you from pursuing your fitness goals. It’s clear there are a number of barriers across the board, but the good news is that there are also solutions. 

Identify the Source of Your Anxiety 

It might be helpful to take some time to write down things about the gym that make you anxious. If you can’t identify anything that may be causing your anxiety, try going to the gym not to work out, but to be mindful. Pay attention to your body and mind and see your response. Pay attention to the thoughts that cross your mind. Are you being critical of your body? Are you comparing yourself to others? Are you experiencing feelings of embarrassment? All of these are normal, but by identifying the basis of your anxiety, you can take steps that are actually specific to your stressors. This process was something that was really helpful for me. 

Personally, I realized my biggest anxieties were social and not knowing how to use equipment properly. Feeling like I would look stupid used to prevent me from doing anything but the treadmill. As someone more interested in heavy-weight training than cardio, this meant my anxiety was keeping me from my goals. The reality is people are going to the gym for themselves, not to judge you. The more open I got with others at the gym, the more I realized how supportive others are. I had to learn that to pursue my goals. 

Solutions for other common stressors: If you are worried about how to use equipment: 

• You can ask others for help! Everyone has been a beginner at some point, so people are helpful if you ask.  If that sounds too intimidating, use the internet. TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube have so much content on fitness and you can search for how to use specific machines and get examples of correct forms and common mistakes. If you are on campus, you can also check out the personal training resources and GRX classes offered through campus recreation.

If you are worried about how you look: 

• There are different approaches to this stressor, so it might be best to play around and see what works for you. Some people take the “look good, feel good approach”: if wearing a cute set to the gym makes you feel more comfortable, go for it! If it doesn’t, that’s okay too! Some people feel better in a hoodie and shorts. Instagram doesn’t reflect the reality of the gym, so don’t compare yourself to pictures of influencers who have spent time setting up the perfect picture to post. You might get sweaty or out of breath, but that’s normal! Trust that you will worry less the more you go. 

At the end of the day, overcoming gym anxiety may seem overwhelming, but you have skills and people to lean on. The anxiety you feel now is nothing compared to how proud you will feel every time you progress toward your goals. Aim for progress, not perfection, and you’ll feel more comfortable embracing the journey in no time!

By Milo Heard