Workout Classes to Try on Campus

Throughout the past few years, I have been exploring many different ways to work out. From using the machines at the gym to group workout classes, I have tried it all! Here at URI, Campus Recreation offers over 80 exercise classes each week and as a student, they are all part of your tuition! 

Are you looking for some inspiration to try a new class? Have you been wondering what GRX classes are like or if they are the right fit for you? Follow along as I share some of my favorite workout classes on campus this semester! 

Arms and Abs

Arms and Abs is a 45-minute workout class that targets core muscles while building upper body strength through resistance equipment. When I get to class, I like to find an open area and take up space for myself. The instructors for these classes, and each of the GRX classes, are extremely helpful and encouraging. They will guide you to use the correct amount of weight for your upper body workout and guide you through each motion. 

I recommend Arms and Abs to anyone who wants to join an easy-going yet motivated class. Because there are no set weight restrictions, you are able to make the class as easy or as challenging as you’d like! 

Body Pump

The Body Pump class, held in the Anna Fascitelli Group Ex Studio, has been my go-to workout class since last semester. Last September, I tried Body Pump for the first time and have returned to break a sweat every opportunity I can! 

This class is taught by a Les Mills instructor and is focused on holistic well-being, one of Campus Recreation’s core values. Using a barbell throughout the entirety of the class, different weight sets with high repetition will make your body shake with fatigue and burn your muscles. Body Pump gets your heart pumping, and helps you strengthen your body, all while focusing on the importance of mental health.

The instructor for Body Pump likes to focus on making sure the participants are breathing correctly and creates a focus on being kind to your mind while working out your body. At the beginning of each class, the instructor will talk about how exercising is good for your mental health and the science behind it. This creates a moment of reflection for the participants and allows them to take a few deep breaths before beginning an intense workout. 

Pilates

If you are interested in taking a Pilates class, sign up now! These classes fill up quickly, and for good reason, so make sure to secure your spot. One important thing to remember when signing up for a pilates class through Campus Recreation is that there are many different kinds of pilates outside of our campus. If you frequently attend pilates classes off campus or near your hometown, you may have experienced reformer pilates or mat pilates. Here on campus, your pilates class experience will be focused on your mind and body. While concentrating on your breathing, you will increase your flexibility, use low-weight repetitions to gain muscle and build core strength. 

As a student, it is hard to find a balance between an intense workout and one that is low-impact and good for the mind. This class has helped me take time out of my week to focus on stretching and breathing – things that seem so simple, yet I never have the time to do. If you are interested in a Pilates class, I recommend attending the morning classes to start your day off right! 

Campus Recreation offers numerous types of workout classes daily. Other classes include yoga, cycling, F45 training, Zumba, and meditation. Whether you are new to the gym, looking to try something new, or want to hang out with your friends, you should give the  GRX classes on campus a try! 

Head to https://web.uri.edu/campusrec/fitness-and-wellness/group-exercise/ to explore the different classes and find one that is right for you! 

By Tara Roumes