- Associate Research Professor
- Department of Ocean Engineering
- Phone: 401.874.6591
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gopu R Potty is an Associate Research Professor in Ocean Engineering at the University of Rhode Island, USA. His areas of research include underwater acoustics, acoustical oceanography, marine bio-acoustics, acoustical signal processing, inverse methods, and application of Bayesian and machine learning techniques in acoustics. He has been actively involved in various research projects investigating the impact of offshore wind farms on the environment with specific focus on acoustic noise and particle velocity. Two of the major research efforts in this area in which he participated were the Rhode Island Ocean Special Area Management Plan (Ocean SAMP) and the Real-time Opportunity for Development Environmental Observations (RODEO) program sponsored by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM). He is organizing a special session on this topic at the IEEE/MTS OCEANS Meeting in Charleston, NC (October, 2018) and guest editing a special issue for IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering Society. He was also part of ISO working group which developed a new standard for “Measurement of radiated underwater sound from percussive pile driving.” He is a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, member of IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society, and serves as an Associate Editor of IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering.
- Assessing Avian Fine-scale Movements Near the Block Island Wind Farm - We are assessing tern and plover fight behavior near the Block Island Wind Farm to determine exposure risk.
- Characterization of Impact Pile Driving Signals During Installation of Offshore Wind Turbine Foundations - This study analyzed measurements of piles used during the construction of offshore wind farms to investigate variations in rise time, decay time, pulse duration, kurtosis, and sound received levels as a function of range and azimuth.
- Field Observations During Wind Turbine Foundation Installation at the Block Island Wind Farm, Rhode Island - The preliminary findings of the acoustic monitoring of the construction of the Block Island Wind Farm
- The Underwater Sound from Offshore Wind Farms - This study investigates and summarizes the underwater sounds that are associated with offshore wind farms during both the construction and operation phases.
- Underwater Acoustic Monitoring Data Analyses for the Block Island Wind Farm, Rhode Island - Methods, data, observations, results, and conclusions from analyses of underwater sound monitoring data that was collected during the construction of the Block Island Wind Farm (BIWF).