DPT Students volunteer at Special Olympics Summer Games 2024

2nd year DPT students Brianna DeRobbio, Paris Ellman, Jillian Fitting, and Apryll Paziena volunteered with Dr. Mariusz Furmanek at the Special Olympics RI Summer Games 2024 on Saturday, June 1 and Sunday, June 2. The students were able to work hands-on with the athletes in the pt-specific area, FUNfitness, and cheered on athletes from all ages throughout the various sporting events over the weekend. 

Jillian Fitting, Paris Ellman, Apryll Pazienza, Brianna DeRobbio

Paris Ellman was inspired to participate as a volunteer for the Summer Games during a part time clinical experience where a patient discussed her excitement about the games during one of their interactions. At the event, that same patient walked by the FUNfitness tent, and Paris recognized the patient immediately. Paris stated “I told her she was the reason I was there volunteering because I saw how much this event meant to her. She immediately hugged me and expressed her gratitude”.

Jillian Fitting with her cousin and athlete Alan.

During her volunteer experience, Jillian Fitting shared “My favorite part of the weekend was being able to share this experience with my cousin Alan, who is an athlete who participated in multiple events throughout the weekend. I enjoyed being able to cheer him on while volunteering at his events; he had so much fun learning about what we do as PT’s and even beat me on the push-up test!”. 

For more information about the Special Olympics RI and FUNfitness, use the links below: 

Special Olympics RI

FUNfitness