SURF 2024 Program

We are gearing up for another Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program, which is open to undergraduate students from all nine R.I. institutions. The paid fellowship experience is for undergraduate students to complete mentored research and professional development activities during the summer at RI-INBRE network institutions (University of Rhode Island. Brown University, Bryant University, Johnson & Wales University, Providence College, Rhode Island College, Roger Williams University, and Salve Regina University).

This year’s 2024 SURF program received 212 applications, an increase of 25% from last year’s applicants. The 10-week SURF program will run from May 20th to July 26, 2024. SURF at URI and Brown University and SURF at the Network Institutions

SURF 2023 Survey Results

123 SURF students received the RI-INBRE SURF program survey and the majority of the participants stated that they experienced large gains in understanding the research processes and methods along with professional skills. The SURF experience made many participants more aware of graduate school opportunities and most respondents stated that they plan to get a biomedical or health-related graduate degree.

The participants felt their SURF experience would help them contribute to the research culture at their home institution. Participants also reported feeling increased self-confidence and being ready for more challenges. Ninety-two percent of SURF students stated that they participated in a variety of research activities over the summer. These participants reported working frequently with data and analyzing the data or information, documentation of their work, conducting experiments, participating in the design/planning of the experiments, and problem solving.

The survey also noted that mentors were key in training students in the procedures needed to carry out the research projects as well as cooperation in the labs. In addition, SURF participants stated they had access to the necessary equipment and supplies needed to complete their research successfully.

At the end of the RI-INBRE SURF program, participants presented their summer research at the RI Summer Undergraduate Research Conference (SURS). Ninety-six percent of the participants agreed that SURS was a rewarding experience for them.

“This experience made me a better student because it showed me that the things, I have learned in class should be revisited and reviewed even after the exam, because they are important [and] necessary for future understanding.” URI SURF Student

“This was an amazing experience, with amazing workshops and faculty…” URI Affiliate Student

“I really enjoyed the workshops because it opened me up to other areas of science that I wouldn’t have been exposed to at [my school].” Primarily Undergraduate Institutions (PUI ) SURF Student

“The SURF experience made me realize that I definitely do want to work in a lab in the future and that I do want to pursue graduate school. It also made me realize that I enjoy doing research!” Primarily Undergraduate Institutions (PUI ) SURF Student