Getting to Know: Sonia Refulio-Coronado & Juwaan Douglas-Jenkins

Sonia Refulio-Coronado

Doctoral candidate (fourth year), Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, University of Rhode Island

Sonia
Sonia Refulio-Coronado

Because of my interest in nature, I was initially interested in conservation approaches that limit detrimental human activities. I changed my vision later to incorporate other approaches, such as productive conservation, while I was working at the Ministry of Environment of my country, Peru. As an environmental economist, I am interested in designing conservation incentives that maintain ecosystem health while improving people’s living conditions in high biodiversity areas. I also found environmental justice topics as a link between my interests in social minorities’ rights and environmental quality.

My research under RI C-AIM has focused on determining how people value environmental amenities by using recreational models. I am particularly interested in water quality because of its effect on human health and aesthetics. I assessed the impact of water quality on beach visitation in the Narragansett Bay for my master’s major paper. By coupling ecological and human behavioral data, I found that beach users are more sensitive to extreme bacteria pollution events than average water quality conditions. Also, users avoid bacteria pollution events by modifying their level of water contact without affecting beach visitation. For my doctoral dissertation, I will assess inequalities in the exposure to different water quality levels of traditionally disadvantaged communities.

In my spare time, I go to theater and music concerts. I also enjoy biking outdoors when the weather allows it, and if not, I do hand-lettering.

Juwaan Douglas-Jenkins

Juwaan
Juwaan Douglas-Jenkins

Undergraduate, Salve Regina University
Project title: Characterization of biofilm formation by marine bacteria from Narragansett Bay and development of in vitro conditions for screening of anti-biofouling materials.
Project advisor & location: Dr. Anne Reid, Salve Regina University

I am currently a junior majoring in biology with a concentration in microbiology at Salve Regina University. Being from Newport, RI, I believe it is incredibly important to monitor the health of Narragansett Bay. When I heard about a research opportunity at Salve involving Narragansett Bay, I took an immediate interest. Last year was my first time being part of the RI C-AIM program as a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) student. I loved the experience so much that I decided to continue for another year. My previous project was the recovery and identification of marine microbes from Narragansett Bay and an assessment of their potential for biofilm formation.

The isolates recovered from last year will now be used to assay biofilm formation on PMDS coupons in vitro and to test the efficacy of antifouling coatings in reducing bacterial interactions with this sensor material. These experiences have been instrumental in developing my knowledge and skills, and I hope that programs like this will continue to be offered to college students who are interested in this field.