15 PASSENGER VAN POLICY
The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reported that fully loading a 15-passenger van causes the center of gravity to shift rearward and upward, increasing the potential to lose control in panic maneuvers and causing rollovers.
The NHTSA further concluded that rollover risks increase dramatically as the number of occupants increases:
- With 10 or more occupants, the rollover rate is nearly three times the rate of vans that have only five occupants.
- With more than 15 occupants, the risk of a rollover is almost six times greater than if the van has only five occupants.
The University requires that all drivers of 15 passenger vans must:
- be 21 years of age or older
- possess a valid driver’s license
- view the safety training video prior to operating the vehicle by clicking on the following link: 15 Passenger Van Safety Training Video