Exec 9-12-17

MEETING START TIME: 6:30 PM

ATTENDANCE:

Committee: President BUCK, Vice President DONNELLY, Treasurer PERCY, Chief Information Officer TAYLOR, Director of Communications WILDING, Finance Committee Chairwoman KING, SOARC Chairman BACHILAS, Academic Committee Chairman TEMPLE, Campus Affairs Committee Chairwoman TATE, Cultural Affairs Committee Chairwoman ST. AMAND, External Affairs Committee Chairman BERTEL

Absent: None

Non-Committee: Senator Howard

COMMITTEE DISCUSSION:

• President
    • Reached out to Dooley’s Assistant, Lisa. We are talking about DACA and getting on the same page with their office.
    • Serving on a search committee for a new Director of Housing and Residential Life.
  • Vice President
    • The retreat as it is planned will happen during family weekend, and I am waiting to hear back from them for availability. We are considering both Sundays. It looks like it will happen the 29th of October which is a Sunday.
    • The Scholarship Committee is coming together to begin the scholarship process.
    • We are organizing recruitment booths and declaration booths.
    • ‘One-on-one’s are going to begin happening soon. The Executive Committee is exempt since we all had progression meetings last year.
    • Executive Committee office hours need to be updated.
    • I sent an email to our coordinator about which office supplies are needed. I let Zach know and he plans to get supplies at the end of the week.
  • Treasurer
    • Nothing much, just signing bills.
  • Chief Information Officer
    • Parliamentary Procedure at Public Forum
    • I will discuss motions, voting practices, debate, etc.
  • Directors of Communications:
    • A member of the Cigar will be at the General meeting this week
    • Declarations open last Friday and end the 22nd.
    • Elections Booths will get set up.
    • Recruitment video is going on, not too many people helping out so I do need some more support with that.
    • Some pictures taken, but I have had some problems. Reaching out is difficult.
    • We have the cameras, but not the materials to take pictures.
    • I am not interested in re-publishing the old video we have on the website now.
  • Finance Committee
    • I am going to meet with Carl, Cheryl, Maureen, Susan and others about the Finance Handbook.
    • I am tabling the bill for another week to go through the purchasing parts which heavily involves Cheryl’s office. We do not want to pressure that office.
    • It is better to have a good handbook and be a little late.
    • PanHel and SOLC to discuss retreats and workshops. These are two groups especially affected by the changes to that section of the Handbook. I can attend general meetings if they feel it would be appropriate.
    • I plan on leaving Security up to discussion at the General meeting. It was raised to $4 per student and $7 per nonstudent. Concerns were raised that it’s too high.
    • There will be a bulleted list for clubs that detail resources for advertisements. Clubs must utilize at least three to require a greater advertising scheme.
    • Venmo will not be allowed but donations by means of crowdfunding will be. A lumpsum must be dispersed to the club by check through the Accounting office.
    • Some words were removed and tables replaced whole paragraphs. The table of contents will be added and the document will be interactive through the Table of Contents.
    • We are getting rid of the Sakai site and related sections. The quiz will be on a google form.
    • Budgeting will be a submission form that shows them how to break their budgets down.
  • SOARC
    • The Committee is interested in rewording our recognition policy. No substantial changes will be made, we are simply writing down what the Committee already does.
    • I will be splitting up the groups between SOARC members who will act as liaisons to these groups.
    • As it stands, 25 groups per member will be allocated during the ReRecognition process.
    • Paperwork for ReRec is due October 4th.
    • The Committee hopes to be meeting at a new time.
  • Academic Affairs Committee
    • No report from the Committee, but I am working with the Cultural Committee on the Indigenous People’s Day
  • Campus Affairs Committee
    • I have both received and submitted many emails about parking. Joe Paradise and other authorities at Public Forum plan on providing answers to questions we pose.
    • Campus is teaming up with Cultural to put on a fundraiser for Hurricane Relief; still researching which charities to fund raise for. We are going to bring the idea to the floor soon.
  • Cultural Affairs Committee
    • Meeting with Michael Nolfe to go over TED talk. We just need to pick a date and plan logistics.
    • Mental health week might not be feasible.
    • Last year, before the end of Senate, diversity week was planned out and was supposed to be this upcoming week. But we have received no information about it from anywhere. I am meeting with the MSSC to clarify.
    • I am working on a bill with the Academic Committee about replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous People’s Day. Every professors syllabus and calendar are our target. We went to some professors for comments. The bill looks good. We have gotten little contact with the Native American Student Association (NASA) which is unhelpful since they are the part of the student voice we are trying to support and amplify. We are still trying to team up with them and MSSC to work on this. There is not unanimous agreement from the Senate. We are sending this to as many bodies in administration as possible to get feedback.
    • I nominate Laura Creese as my new Vice Chair.
    • (9-0-0)
  • External Affairs Committee
    • I have Rhody Outpost dates. We are going to be rotating on Wednesdays.
    • The dates are October 18th, November 15th, and December 13th.
    • We are going to administer a Food security survey and look into whether a food swipes option is feasible.
    • We received our first off-Campus complaint recently.
    • The Narragansett town council is meeting next Monday. The ordinance from last year was opposed by the town council.
    • There is no date scheduled for the Senate Clean-Up but it will either be late September or early October. We are aiming for October 7th. I have consulted Alfred Bailey and my committee to work on this.
    • The Committee is working on a Renters’ Rights thing to create. We are going to revamp the magnets we have by making make them look better. However, we are considering other mediums by which to communicate renter’s rights. The Committee is also working on other ideas.
    • The Committee meets 4:30 PM on Wednesdays.
  • New Business
    • Rhody-Thon will take place March 24th.

MEETING ADJOURNMENT TIME: 8:11 PM