Executive 3-26-2013

SOARC COMMITTEE

Pishdadian- Last day to get recognized is going to be April 8th (to come to SOARC). Spare week for anyone who wants to hold off on a week for recognition. Had a group come this week. Last president’s meeting is next Monday.

RULES & ETHICS

Weinreich- Rules and Ethics meeting tonight to resolve any issues from the complaint filed.

DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS

Atkins- Working on the newsletter. Please send me anything you are working on. Nutrition Club sent me another recipe this month- health recipes students can make in their dorms. All of my transition material is complete.

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Dobrzynski- Missed my last committee meeting because I was on a field trip. Carnival is Wednesday 4/3. They’re coming at 10 or so to sign up. Will need 4-5 people at each booth at each hour. Invited a lot of people from the housing fair and a lot seem interested to come. Same day as the open food market on the quad. Pickard wrote something for the Living in Narragansett representative, so we will have something in one of their publications. Just finishing up anything I can for the carnival.

TREASURER

Smith- Let’s do the purchase req tomorrow so we can get that in. Do you have the itemized receipt for the pizza, Chris? Cicero- Yes.

Smith- Last fun fact tomorrow.

FINANCE COMMITTEE

Stewart- This week, we have bills on the floor for SAWA. We have 2 tax grants – one for programming and one for security. Next week, we will have cultural affairs bill. Read through the bylaws and have some suggestions for tomorrow night. Resent a memo about summer budgets out to organizations if they would like to have their budgets open for the summer or a few weeks early to get to me. Disapproved of falafel’s with Hillel. Rather aggressive with his suggestions. We were not in all agreement with the idea that falafels was in accordance with the Israeli Independence Day- not necessary to the celebration of the holiday. Needless to say, I do not believe he was very happy.

Weinreich- He was very forward. The other two girls seemed to be in agreement with us when we were discussing the food idea. Sets a bad precedent.

Stewart- Brian kept arguing that he only had a problem with the fact that it was falafel sandwiches.

Weinreich- Not fundamental to the functioning of the event.

Cicero- We just met with Barnaby and things have changed a bit. Is it possible to get funding for waters and pizza or something for the volunteers that help us with the event?

Stewart- Probably for volunteers but not for patrons because he seemed like he had something to sell.

CAMPUS AFFAIRS

Musali- Still haven’t gotten response from the contract guy. Will try and talk to him. Have a contact for the head of housekeeping and talking about full staffs for the different residence halls. That’s pretty much it.

Zawatsky- Last year, we worked in Academic Affairs with the bookstore in getting a letter to Faculty members about getting their course requirements into the bookstore earlier before the due date. We decided the best course of action was to send a letter to professors to try and encourage that.

Musali- Me and Emily had a meeting with Paul Whitney. He said he only needed an academic affairs representative, so Campus did not follow up on the issue. I think he just went to Academic Affairs and worked with them.

Zawatsky- If we could find that letter, that would be great.

SECRETARY

Jones- Kudos suggestions for tomorrow!

CULTURAL AFFAIRS

Cicero- We had a conference call (me, Heather, and Jenna)- Barnaby Evans- the creator of Waterfire. He sent us an email about the things they need in order for this event to happen. We have a month to do this, but I am confident we can do it. He has certain expectations from us. The big thing that needs to be addressed is that we need volunteers for this event very badly. Waterfire- they have a certain budget so they can only allocate certain amounts of money for certain things. They don’t have that much money to help us out with this. We need volunteers to get the fire pits down to URI.

Weinreich- How big are they? I have a truck and have one to 2 more of my guys have trucks.

Cicero- That is our number one priority. The way it is going to work- we’re going to need some type of transportation. Bruce is looking into trucks. We are going to change the name to URI Waterfire. He wants us to shoot us an email about what we would like it to be. He would also like us to have a celebratory. As far as the event is going to go, we are going to have different groups perform and when it is time to light the fire at dusk, we can play the music he provides. The big thing is that we need help. We need help setting up, breaking down, and maintaining the fire.

Zawatsky- Is he going to provide music for the whole night?

Cicero- He says we can use his meetings if we would like. We have ATR treehouse lighting the stage.

ACADEMIC AFFAIRS

Zawatsky- Taking time to consider the UC Gen Education proposals. We are going to begin drafting a letter of support. Peer advocates are visiting my committee tomorrow.

Cicero- Do you have contact information for peer advocates?

Zawatsky- Yes, I can forward.

CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER Kilduff- Thank you so much for doing your transition material. The next CIO will deal with Finance and SOARC.

PRESIDENT

Segal- My last executive report as President. Went to Faculty Senate meeting last week. Vice President Weygand was present giving a presentation of fiscal year budget.

Zawatsky- They talked about the advising report again. I guess they are going to take some more time to talk about it. Aside from that, tonight we are going to President Dooley’s house. If you didn’t sign up and you want to go, please go!

Segal- Please look over the bylaws before tomorrow’s meeting.

Cicero- Since I kind of filled in for Casey, I had the orientation yesterday. Got everyone excited. Got a note from Erica that she needs 3 committee members or so.