CITI Training for IRB, IACUC and COI
CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) Program
Required compliance training for University of Rhode Island Investigators and Study Personnel is offered through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative, commonly called the CITI Program.
CITI training is required for Investigators and Study Personnel who are conducting:
- Biomedical Research and Social/Behavioral research involving Human Subjects.
- Research involving Vertebrate Animals
- Research funded from a PHS agency or other agency following PHS Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) Regulations.
You will need to have MS Explorer 5.0 or higher (preferred) or Netscape Navigator 6.2 or higher, MS Word or other word processing software capable of viewing files in the RTF format, and Adobe Acrobat Reader software, version 5.0 or higher.
Steps for Access to CITI’s Training
- Go to: http://www.citiprogram.org
- Select “New Users – Register Here”.
- Select your Participating Institution â€“ University of Rhode Island.
- Create your Account with a User Name and Password.
- Select appropriate Learner Group. If you have not previously completed the CITI Basic Course, please choose Group 1.
- Re-confirms your Learner Institution selection and asks if you are also affiliated with any other institution. (Select “NO” and continue)
- Learner’s Menu â€“ Two Sections:
- Section one: reviews/confirms your profile information
- Section two: Institutional header, see Human Research Curriculum: click on Grade book link to display all Required Modules.
- Complete ALL the Basic Course modules by reading module text and taking quizzes.
- Review/complete the instructions on institutional (last) module. You must complete this step for your results to be sent to us.
If you have forgotten your CITI username or password, please follow the “Forgot Login Information” link on the site as opposed to creating a new user account.
Completion of the CITI course for either IRB or IACUC should take just over 2 hours; however, the program need not be completed in one sitting. Please Note: Registrants who begin the course but do not log in again for 30 days will be deleted from the system and will have to re-register.
NOTE: URI’s Office of Research Integrity will automatically receive notice once you have completed the CITI Basic and/or Refresher courses. Please maintain a copy of your CITI completion report as proof of having successfully completed the appropriate training course.