Senior Spotlights

Class of 2022

Caroline Akanji - Data Science

"The College of Arts and Sciences at URI is unique because of how many different routes a student can take to achieve their academic goals."
Liliana Berube - Physics

"I can confidently say that I wouldn’t have the same passion for knowledge that I have today without the sense of camaraderie that our department has."
Mackenzie Blake - Theatre (Acting and Directing)

"The array of courses we take in Theatre helps expand our knowledge and prepares us to look for jobs in the future that we may not have planned for, but are still ready for."
Grace Burns - English

"The College of Arts and Sciences has gifted me the opportunity to maintain an open mind and has inspired me to become a lifelong learner. "
Filippo Calapai - Criminology and Criminal Justice and Sociology

"I was able to help Dr. Megan Perry with her research into how parents of autistic children perceive the police, as well as be a part of a team led by Dr. Judy Van Wyk that goes into the juvenile justice world."
Franchesca Campos - Africana Studies, Sociology, and Writing & Rhetoric

"I’ve learned that theory without any practice of it has no greater purpose if not applied, and I've learned how to apply my knowledge outside of the classroom and make a larger contribution through my education."
Jake Dante Carlino - Italian and International Studies and Diplomacy 

"I was lucky enough to be the first URI student to attend the University for Foreigners of Perugia. This was by far my favorite learning experience facilitated by URI."
Arlen Dumas - Computer Science

"A lot of STEM students benefit greatly from interdisciplinary studies as it allows us to explore interests that we can bring into our professional careers."
Claire D. Estacuy - Gender and Women's Studies

"I want to work in communities and with mothers that need it the most because I think this will help change the health disparities that some people unequally face."
Sabrinna Fogarty - Philosophy and Political Science

"There is such a culture in A&S of faculty and staff ready and willing to connect students with different opportunities to put their studies to practice and explore their interests."
Patrice Geffrard - Economics and Political Science

"My liberal arts education allows me to be well-informed citizen who understands that most issues must be approached from various perspectives."
Haidar Halaoui Halloway - Global Language and Area Studies (Arabic Studies track)

"From the very beginning of my college career at URI the faculty have gone above and beyond to ensure that I achieve my goals."
Suraiya Hamidzada - Anthropology

"I have learned from many great professors who were truly interested in the subjects that they teach, and who were committed to sharing their knowledge and curiosity with their students."
Ashley LaBarbera - Art

"Whether taking classes online or in person, I have been encouraged to experiment. I was pushed to branch out artistically, which helped me develop a variety of skillsets I otherwise wouldn’t have pursued."
Omar Laguerre-Lewis - Theatre (Acting)

"I value how well rounded my liberal arts education has been, allowing me to explore interests outside my chosen field and interact with fellow students from diverse perspectives."
Kate LeBlanc - Journalism and Political Science

"This past year, I got to serve as the editor-in-chief of the Good Five Cent Cigar, the student-run newspaper, during its 50 year anniversary. The opportunity to interact with alumni and celebrate many years of student journalism was such a privilege."
Isaac Marshall - Gender and Women's Studies and Film/Media

"Without the broad education provided by a liberal arts program I would not have been able to come to such a unique focus of study on my own."
Brett Mayne - Art

"I am grateful to have had professors that have encouraged me to make art that I enjoy but also have pushed my creative boundaries."
Tuyetlinh Nguyen - Applied Mathematics and Computer Science

"The support and respect that I have felt in these relationships with everyone in this community will stay with me as I move forward with my career and my life, far beyond URI's campus, and I cannot express how appreciative I am for that."
Molly O’Connor - Theatre and Public Relations

"Both of my majors emphasized the importance of studying all aspects of a subject before you can focus on your specific concentration. This method allows you to gain a better understanding of what your colleagues responsibilities might be and that allows you to have a greater respect for the work that they do."
Merlyz Quezada - Gender and Women's Studies

"The internships I've done are giving me the tools I need in order to create real change around my community."
Allie Vanasse - French

"I have been able to take writing, speaking, and cultural courses through the department, and have learned so much about French history and culture that has helped me to understand more about U.S. history and culture."
Miles Wilson - French

"I would advise students considering French not to hesitate. The French department is resourceful and its faculty are extremely helpful. The curriculum is both challenging and interesting."