Food Safety Education Program
The University of Rhode Island Food Safety Education program provides resources for a variety of audiences: food processors, retail food service operators, growers, gardeners, and consumers. This program offers workshops and training in food safety to help food businesses comply with regulatory requirements and implement best practices. Additionally, this program has research capabilities for the biochemical and microbiological assessments of food.
Upcoming training and workshops:
Outreach: Workshops and Training
- Seafood HACCP (Regulatory Compliance)
- Meat and Poultry HACCP (Regulatory Compliance)
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training (Regulatory Compliance)
- Rhode Island Good Agricultural Practices (RIGAP) Grower Certification
- Preventive Controls for Human Food (Regulatory Compliance)
- Processing Food for Sale from Your On-farm Residential Kitchen
- Retail HACCP
- Volunteer Foodservice Worker
- Farmer’s Market Manager Food Safety Training
- Farmer’s Market Vendor Food Safety Training
- Home Gardening Good Agricultural Practices
- Food Preservation (Hands-on, demonstration, lecture)
Focus on quality
- Applied laboratory research has focused on quality and safety parameters of seafood.
- Needs assessments regarding food safety targeted for a variety of audiences for outreach education.
Partnerships A variety of stakeholders have been integral to the success of the Food Safety Program
- Rhode Island Food Safety Task Force
- Rhode Island Sea Grant
- Rhode Island Food Policy Council
- Rhode Island Department of Health, Center for Food Protection.
- Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Division of Agriculture
- Rhode Island Farm Bureau
- Northeast Center to Advance Food Safety
- Regional and national land grant institutions.
- Seafood Marketing Collaborative