The Graduate School requires a non-refundable application fee paid online by credit card at the time of application submission.
- If you are applying to more than one graduate degree program, the fee is required for each program to which you apply.
- If you are applying to a dual-degree program, you need to pay only the application fee for the first graduate degree program and may request a waiver for the second.
Check with the appropriate Program Director before applying to make sure the program is still accepting students for a given term. Application fees cannot be refunded to applicants who are denied admission for any reason.
Application Fee WaiversNew applicants to degree programs who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents may be eligible for application fee waivers. International applicants may contact their respective Program for fee waiver consideration; otherwise, the Graduate School does not supply application fee waivers.
Eligibility and Required Documentation
|FEE WAIVER TYPE||ELIGIBILITY||DOCUMENTATION|
|Financial Hardship||U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or undocumented applicants with demonstrated financial need. Eligible recipients are either:|
Current recipients of unemployment benefits OR State of Rhode Island or U.S. Public Assistance (food stamps, cash, and medical assistance)
Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate students with demonstrated need
|A copy of part one of your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) or a letter indicating your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from a financial aid representative at the institution where you are currently enrolled
Unemployment benefits statement dated within the previous three months or a signed and dated statement from caseworker verifying receipt of benefits within the previous three months
|Program Affiliation (see below for a list of eligible programs)||Participant in undergraduate research programs or service-based organizations||No additional documentation required|
|URI Graduate Student||Currently enrolled URI graduate student applying for an additional degree or certificate program||No additional documentation required|
|Dual Degree applicant||Applying to an approved dual degree program||No additional documentation required|
|ABM applicant||Currently enrolled URI undergraduate applying to an approved Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s degree program||No additional documentation required|
Program Affiliation WaiversFees may be waived for applicants in the following programs who provide an official verification letter in the “Other” documents section of the Program Materials quadrant:
- AmeriCorps (service within the past 12 months)
- Teach for America (service within the past 12 months)
- Peace Corps (service within the past 12 months)
- Gates Millennium Scholars
- Fulbright Scholars
- Leadership Alliance
- Mellon Mays Minority Undergraduate Fellowship Program (MMUF)
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH): BP-ENDURE, MARC, RISE, Bridges to the Doctorate, PREP, IMSD
- National Science Foundation (NSF): LSAMP, GEOPATHS
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science (GEM) Fellow
- PhD Project: Business Doctoral Programs for Minorities
- URI Science and Engineering Fellows
- URI Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship [RI-INBRE or RI C-AIM/NSF EPSCoR] (SURF)
- URI Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Oceanography (SURFO)
- Woods Hole Partnership Education Program
Financial Hardship Fee WaiversApplicants requesting a fee waiver based on financial hardship should note that the approval process is not automated. All requests are reviewed by Graduate School staff and are processed in the order received.
Please request a financial hardship-based waiver at least TEN BUSINESS DAYS before application deadlines. If your request is approved, you will receive an email with the coupon code and further instructions. If you submit payment before receiving a coupon code, waiver or reimbursement is no longer an option.