Enrollment Deferral

Graduate students are expected to enroll for the term in which they are admitted. If you are unable to attend, you must defer your enrollment. To defer your enrollment, you must submit a request prior to the first day of classes for your original semester of enrollment (i.e., if you were admitted for fall semester, your deferral request must be submitted prior to the start of fall classes).  All graduate students are eligible to defer one time for up to one year.

To request a deferral, please send an email to the Graduate Program Director for the program to which you have been admitted. Find your Program Director

Please include the following information in your request:

  • In the email subject line: “Graduate Program Deferral Request”
  • In the email text:
    • Your Name
    • Your URI ID (this can be found in your acceptance email).
    • Your current email address
    • The new term you wish to begin in

After the department selects the ‘Deferral Requested’ local status in WebAdmit, you will receive an email from the Graduate School confirming the deferment.

*Please note, a deferment is not the same as a Leave of Absence. Please contact the Graduate School at GradProcessing@etal.uri.edu for more information about a Leave of Absence.