January & February Professional Development Programs

January:
Time and Stress Management for Grad Students  ?
Wed., Jan. 26, 12-1 p.m.  I  via Zoom  |  Register HERE

Have you ever wished there were extra hours in the day?  In this workshop, we will introduce time management strategies and help you identify strategies that might work for you so you will be better prepared to make each day a productive one.  We will also discuss and practice some stress management strategies.

Writing with Confidence  ?
Fri., Jan. 28, 10-11 a.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE

This workshop, hosted by URI’s Graduate Writing Center, focuses on building confidence in writing.  Graduate students often experience feelings of anxiety and frustration while writing.  This workshop will provide strategies and prompt you to reflect on how to distinguish your words and ideas from previously published scholars without the dread of having to formulate a distinct and original thesis.  We will discuss how to develop greater confidence in your insights and perspectives while expressing those ideas in the writing tasks required for completion of your graduate training.  Bringing 7+ years of writing center experience, English PhD candidate and GWC writing consultant Billy Bowden will facilitate this session.

February (8 programs):
CV/Resume Seminar  ?
Wed., Feb. 2, 4-5 p.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE
Learn strategies for drafting a persuasive and effective document that will impress employers and get through Applicant Tracking Software.

Teaching Statement Workshop  ?
Thurs., Feb. 3, 4-5 p.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE
What is a Teaching Statement?  How do you write one?  If you’re applying for a faculty position that asks for a teaching philosophy statement, or even just updating your own teaching portfolio, this workshop can help you!  Graduate Writing Center Consultant AnnMarie DeMichiel, PhD candidate, will share the basics of teaching philosophy statements and will distinguish these from related documents that you might also need to write (for example, statements of teaching effectiveness).  Together we will look at examples of different teaching philosophy statements, discuss common mistakes writers make, and ask you to consider your own philosophy of teaching and pedagogical practices.

Creating Impact & Effectiveness in Your Job Search Using Career & Personality Assessment Tools  ?
Fri., Feb. 11, 10-11 a.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE
Understanding your personality type and how you interact with others is an important professional skill.  In this workshop, we’ll review your Myers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI) personality test result that you’ll complete pre-workshop and discuss ways personality type affects your interactions with others, and how to leverage these in your search and career.

Grammar & Style: Addressing the Challenges of Academic English
Thurs., Feb. 17, 11-1 p.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE
Join the Graduate Writing Center for a virtual English grammar session.  We will review several writing examples together and practice identifying and revising problem sentences.  All grad students are welcome!

Tips for Decoding Job Postings  ?
Fri., Feb. 18, 10-10:50 a.m.  I  via Webex  I  Register HERE
Quiet your inner critic and take time to adequately understand and evaluate job postings.  Join this session to gain tips for discerning key themes and priorities within job postings, and to participate in a group decoding activity.  Move from thinking of applying to ACTUALLY submitting an application. 

Salary Negotiation Seminar  ?
Wed., Feb. 23, 12-1:30 p.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE
Learn important principles of salary negotiation, how you can create a strategy to maximize your earning potential, and the keys to gaining confidence in your negotiation style.  CCEE, URI Graduate School professional staff, and corporate recruiters will share their knowledge about effective negotiation practices and answer your questions.  The session will provide specific information about STEM fields, but all disciplines are welcome to attend. 

Industry Job Search for PhDs  ?
Thurs., Feb. 24, 12-1 p.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE
Attend this session to gain tips and strategies on preparing for your job search in industry.

Citation Tool Workshop: Zotero & Mendeley  ?
Fri., Feb. 25, 10-11 a.m.  I  via Zoom  I  Register HERE
Need help managing your citations?  Join Diana Fontaine, Graduate Writing Center Consultant and GSO PhD student, to learn how to manage your research and citations with free citation management software.  Zotero and Mendeley allow you to download citations and articles from various websites and databases, electronically store and organize the citations, annotate, and highlight articles, and format the citations for your paper and bibliography.

For a list of all Professional Development programs from January-April 2022 and links for you to mark your calendars please see:  Spring 2022 PD Program Schedule