Alumna credits GWS with preparing her for social work career

As a recent 2020 GWS graduate, Hope Sousa now works for a non-profit organization as a housing advocate at Bridges: Domestic Violence and Sexual Support. Based in Nashua, New Hampshire, this organization provides emergency shelter and transitional housing for those in need while they find stability in their lives and finances. Hope proudly works as an advocate and ally as she helps clients to find housing, working closely with landlords and the clients themselves.

With her new job in social work, Hope has become empowered and credits the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies for her success in her field and life. Hope says, “My time in the GWS department at URI truly helped me prepare for not only my career, but for entering into the ‘real world’ after college. With the constant support from GWS professors, I felt confident enough to pursue my dreams and passions.” She also said, “In such a small department, it was nice to feel like I was a whole person instead of just a number or student. The professors all took the time to get to know us and learn about what we wanted to do as well as offered support in any way they could, which made me feel like I truly mattered.” She has taken some core values of intersectionality and feminism, taught in Gender and Women’s Studies, to find a career that embodies these principles.

Although her time at URI has come to an end, Hope looks back with admiration and encourages other GWS students to follow their dreams.

Written by Jena Panas, GWS major