Major to attend prestigious summer program

Georgina Miranda, a junior Health Studies major, from Pawtucket, RI, will be a part of the prestigious Future Public Health Leaders Program at the University of Michigan School of Public Health (UM-SPH).  The program is a 10-week residential program at UM-SPH that will expose attendees to careers in public health and offer leadership training, orientation to the public health disciplines, and real-world work experience.

Georgina explains “I am more than ecstatic to be a part of something as imperatively beneficial as this program, not only to me, but also to the communities I want to serve. I’m always willing to work with other people trying to create things that will better the people around us, ourselves, and eventually, the world. Public Health is a field I can see myself doing a lot of good in with my time here and I just want to get started! ”

In addition, she  notes that “The Health Studies program here at URI has pushed me in places I never thought I’d be able to go and I’m forever thankful for the passion they have in seeing its students prosper in the field.”

Georgina plans to work with community organizations and non-profits for underserved communities on issues concerning chronic diseases and educating them in health awareness. Congratulations, Georgina!